6th child from same Florida school gets measles in outbreak that started Friday

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/20/6th-child-from-same-florida-school-gets-measles-in-outbreak-that-started-friday.html

6 Likes

IMG_5432

44 Likes

Anti-vaxxers, taking us back to the 19th century.

29 Likes

Because of the long period between exposure and symptoms, this may not be the end of this outbreak.

23 Likes

“Over the weekend, the District took further preventive measures by conducting a deep cleaning of the school premises and replacing its air filters”

Anti-vaxxer parents should be forced to pay for that.

38 Likes

Hell no. Between elimination of immune memory and the spectre of SSPE, it may not end for years. I hate this timeline so much…

And cleaning is just more theater. The bug is spread by humans, hangs in the air for hours, and has an attack rate of well over 90%. Throw in that, while the vaccine is very effective, that tops out at roughly 97%. That’s great, unless you are in that 3% where it didn’t take. Or immunocompromised, or pregnant. This is so stupid, but it’s also where we are. Fuck…

35 Likes

There was a small polio outbreak in NYC a year or so ago, which prompted my mother to call me and remind me I never got a polio vaccine because THAT FUCKING DISEASE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE GONE ALREADY BY THE TIME I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO GET THE VACCINE! This is so stupid. We’ve known that vaccines work since the 18th century. But stupid is the new cool, so vaccines are out and death from preventable diseases (and a flat Earth) are back in! This really is the dumbest timeline.

23 Likes

If only there were something to prevent children from getting measles. If only…

20 Likes

I hope they cough on Florida’s Governor and his Surgeon General.

20 Likes

/s

Now that’s not fair. They’re just a misunderstood part of the population that is secretly better and smarter because they don’t do the consensus thing that works and has saved innumerable lives.

10 Likes

Well, thank you, Dr Wakefield… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

_methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_8572379d-190e-3295-8015-4f3847f206a4

15 Likes

IIRC I once read a piece about him that included the phrase “Andrew Wakefield, or, to use his full medical title, Andrew Wakefield”. This refers to the fact that he was struck off the medical register and can no longer call himself Dr Wakefield.

27 Likes

He looks so tired, don’t you think? Poor thing should go take a nap.

9 Likes

Thank you for that happy reminder. Disgraced, struck off, Ex-Dr Wakefield has a nice ring to it.

7 Likes

Most of the country doesn’t care about the millions of hospitalizations and 1.2 million deaths frome covid.

500 deaths from measles is a risk they’re willing to take to own the libs.

14 Likes

I cannot say this is not true, damn it to hell, but

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

11 Likes

Sep 28, 2019

9 Likes

Measles is an awful disease. It’s not just a rash. It can cause deafness! I wish we were better at communicating this fact to the ImMuNiTy dEbT antivax crowd.

14 Likes

If my kid was one of the 10% of measels cases who was vaccinated and got this at that school… I would probably absolutely lose my shit on the parent’s of the unvaccinated kids for harming my kid.

15 Likes

They wouldn’t care. BIG VAX propaganda and all that. And they all had a great uncle that got measles before the vax was available and they were just fine. Take that, data!

11 Likes