Measles kills 130 in the Philippines, also now in 10 US States

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/measles-kills-130-in-the-phili.html

3 Likes

Fucking preventable child deaths. Goddamn anti-vaxx fuckers. This is on you. You are killing children.

26 Likes

can we send the vaccines Americans don’t take to the Philippines?

10 Likes

Jeez… How long until polio resurrects itself from eradication?

10 Likes

you need to go back and edit the title to make it meaningful

IN JUST THIS YEAR (2019)

if it was over the past decade, people will shrug

8400 in Philipines infected in just this year alone

You know, the year that’s not even 50 days old yet.

It’s insanity. I have a friend down there and scared for them even though they had the shots as a kid, I dunno if boosters are needed.

8 Likes

SHOOT. I live in Ohio and have a 1 year old granddaughter. She is vaccinated, since my kids aren’t idiots, but just the thought of an epidemic makes nervous.

5 Likes

I don’t think 11 people makes an epidemic - it’s endemic, but it can’t come get healthy vaccinated people.

1 Like

It can’t get 90% to 95% of healthy, vaccinated people. No vaccine is 100% effective.

4 Likes

Already happened. Boko Haram has declared polio vaccine a “Western plot” and outlawed it in places they control. Same has happened in Pakistan and Afghanistan in the border regions. Remarkably, polio has returned. Should have been eliminated by now, but no…

ETA: Bring references whenever possible!

10 Likes

If it can be considered manslaughter for a knowingly HIV-positive person to have unprotected sex with an HIV-negative person, can we consider the same for parents who refuse to vaccinate their children on anything other than the most bedrock-solid of medical grounds? Please?

6 Likes

If memory serves the reactionary hick rejection of polio vaccines was a thing before this happened; but it really didn’t help when some fine folks who will hopefully enjoy the special hell in an iron lung handed the world a polio vaccine Western plot that could hardly have been improved upon by some screenwriters.

That dent to vaccination efforts may yet end up being the heaviest price paid for that particular plan.

2 Likes

antivaxxers%20murderers

4 Likes

Measles has friends in high places.

2 Likes

Agreed. Prior to the whole bin Laden fiasco, though, there was the “Western vaccines have traces a female homones in them to sterilize our people.”

Pure craziness, but with enough of a kernal of truth to sound reasonable

4 Likes

I wonder how many schools that allow unvaccinated children would have a pearl-clutching meltdown about a peanut butter sandwich?

1 Like

In the article linked below it seems 2 doses are recommended- those born between 1970 and 1994 in British Columbia may have only had one dose. So it will depend on protocol followed in your area what you or others may have had and if an additional dose is needed.

Sadly, it’s not a question of vaccines being unavailable.

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.