New York anti-vaxxers suing for right to infect public

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/17/new-york-anti-vaxxers-suing-fo.html

6 Likes

I hope they lose; nobody should have to get sick or die because of someone else’s willful ignorance… (That happens too much in this life as it is, already; without adding needless ‘contagion’ into the equation.)

24 Likes

Variously attributed

Of course the argument will be made that my metaphorical nose doesn’t begin until you’ve actually infected me. But by then it’s too late.

12 Likes

And yet if I petitioned for the right to spit in their faces they would think I was a troglodyte.

16 Likes

Very curious to see how they have a case here, besides “we unfoundedly think the science is bad so listen to us”. Oh wait i guess that’s how most of American politics works. Welp.

5 Likes

The City of New York has a history of quarantine laws dating back to 1663, so it’s not like “regulating what citizens are allowed to do in the interest of controlling disease” is a particularly new or onerous use of municipal power.

21 Likes

And they would be right.

But of course you’re not going to do that.

4 Likes

My solution: parents of unvaccinated children who could be vaccinated should be given a choice between having the kids vaccinated or having them sit in a small room with someone else who has already contracted measles.

This is madness. There is a discussion here in Germany at the moment about making vacinations against measles mandatory. I wonder why we even have that discusion! YES! Make it mandatory! If they don´t trust vacinations and refuse to, fine, confind them on a leper island, at best without any internet acess so that they stop spreading stupid all over the place (and measles).
Seriously, mothers who don´t vaccinate should have their children taken away from them, they are not fit to be parents.

15 Likes

and fathers

10 Likes

The public should counter sue these mothers and demand the court to ensure that they and their family are vaccinated

5 Likes

This does violate their religious beliefs. They worship the God of Stupid.

3 Likes

Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do!

It’s called “Freedom”!!!

1 Like

A religious exemption? I wasn’t aware that there were so many acolytes of Pestilence of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

16 Likes

Just sayin’

11 Likes

I’m seeing a vision of the future… a pair of lines, one ending at a table where a nurse will vaccinate you, the other ending at a suicide booth.

3 Likes

Can someone explain how these folks get the right to remain anonymous when moving these kinds of lawsuits? Not only should they get the grief that comes from this, but practically, how do lawyers defending check that they are actually local mothers / do have status to bring the cases?

5 Likes

Its as if they don’t read the news or something…

Boy Howdy, those are some real gentlemen a$$holes.

9 Likes

Fake news!! Measles is a mild childhood illness that is easily dealt with! /s

That, unless it isn’t. 1 in 1000 cases die straight up, smaller numbers die later from subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPS), and larger numbers have serious complications. It is mild only if none of these apply to you, or your child.

19 Likes

Fining them seems excessive. NYC should just banish them.

3 Likes