Arizona man suspected of destroying home with makeshift spider-killing flamethrower

And tying it to the Ripley theme, some of those predatory insects are parasitoid wasps. Which are what the Xenomorphs were based on – parasitoid wasps inject their eggs into living insects (which upon hatching then burst out from their hosts like the infamous chestbursters).

3 Likes

Believe it or not one of my entomologist friends has a Petri dish of fly larvae like that I found being preyed upon by said wasp when I opened up a mushroom in my lab a few months ago! Just waiting for the magic to happen.

3 Likes

The Tennessee case is like the algal blooms that result in large oceanic dead zones though. It’s not because the ecosystem supports them, it’s a temporary pulse of life that would be followed shortly after by a large-scale natural die-off (even without whacking them with shoes.)

2 Likes

I was debating whether or not to post “The real surprise is that it didn’t happen in Florida.” Oops!

1 Like

Arizona has a fair number of different spider species. I’m surprised that it was tucson and not one of the outer suburbs of the central phoenix area known for the abnormally low IQ of it’s population. /rimshot

CREEP!

(do go on)

1 Like

‘uh oh, out of [limiting nutrient X or habitat requirement Z]’

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.