Arizona wants to use Nazi death camp gas hydrogen cyanide to execute death row inmates

Ideas? Hell, I hope he gets a reservation!

The people who are approving this should reflect on the fate of Dr. Antione Louis…

1 Like

Hard to determine “no possibility of pain” when the person on the receiving end is dead.

Illinois, under a Republican governor, stopped the death penalty for any crime. The reason he gave was that there were too many inmates proven innocent on death row, or even worse, after they had been executed. So even someone from a party that sees nothing wrong with killing people was able to change course because of how egregious it is.

15 Likes

I not one to advocate for the complete ban on executions because there is the rare evil soul that I’m comfortable knowing was ejected from its body. But I’m also not going to shed a tear if there is a ban. It’s a blunt tool used far too often.

Even from a heartless pragmatic view, there are too many death penalty convictions. I don’t know what the ratio is now days, but not so long ago it cost almost an order of magnitude more to execute someone than it did to imprison them for life. That’s an argument you’ll often find gets more traction than debating the morality of the death penalty.

That is true - but hard to have brain function when there is no brain left at 2,500 feet per second. Hanging, guillotine etc just separate the head and presumably there is some oxygen and waves still happening. Everything else is slow, prone to errors and also just covers up signs of suffering (the paralyzing drug part of the injection cocktail)

You understand that I was being sarcastic, right?

However, in a horrifying, monstrous, inhuman way, processing human beings for death by the millions in the space of a few short years is actually pretty efficient. If you read the history of the death camps, the collaborations with German industry, the strive to get better at killing people quickly, Nazi Germany was efficient.

Yes, German society under Hitler would have quickly collapsed had there been no war. But German industry, when applied in its most evil form, is still effective.

But again, I was being sarcastic.

1 Like

You understand that unless you signal that, it’s hard to know, since we’re not discussing this face to face, and this is a typical understanding of Nazi germany? Like that’s how the average person understands what nazi germany was like, efficiently brutal, when that was not the case.

7 Likes

Ok… hear me out on this one Republicans…

Helmets made of C4. Instant vaporization of anything that could be said to allow the sensation of pain. Yeah, there’s a lot of clean up afterwards, but, Hoo Boy, the deterrent effect!

(and this is meant as sarcasm/ social criticism because it rationally makes sense, but is so gross that nobody would consider it)

Or pump in helium.

I’m sure Wenceslao Moguel would disagree, he survived for 60 years after he was left for dead by his firing squad.

7 Likes

Reduce, reuse, recycle?

(obviously kidding, too high a risk of innocent people getting the death penalty to be for it in general)

This is outrageous. They really ought to use a politically correct gas to kill their prisoners. Unicorn farts come to mind.

1 Like

Well that was a blast from the past!

Strangely relevant, I have been thinking about Wes Craven’s Shocker recently… has a similar buzz

1 Like

Gratuitous historical side note:

If Arizona’s goal really is using a tried and tested Nazi method for executing death row inmates they would have to introduce the guillotine.

Which in 1936 was ordained the official means of civil execution of capital punishment.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.