Arkansas cop suspended after bystander films savage street beating of shoeless man

Originally published at: Arkansas cop suspended after bystander films savage street beating of shoeless man | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Worcester… was charged with second-degree battery, resisting arrest, refusal to submit, possessing an instrument of crime, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, terroristic threatening, and second-degree assault.”

… And any other legal sounding bullshit we can think up to try to distract from the fact that we were taking out our aggression on some guy.

32 Likes

That guy just really would not stop resisting /s

Oh also. As usual, ACAB. Always.

15 Likes

Officers are placed on administrative leave, for approximately as long as it takes national news to forget about this.

22 Likes

On the one hand, I’m not at all surprised by this because of how many times something like this has happened and been caught on video the last many years. On the other hand, I’m surprised by this because of how many times something like this has happened and been caught on video the last many years.

21 Likes

And of course, we all know how the investigation will turn out. “No policy was violated” As department policy is to beat suspects relentlessly even while being filmed

13 Likes

16 Likes

This is true

2 Likes

ACAB, as they consistently and repeatedly prove.

Police Cops GIF by michaelmarczewski

9 Likes

I can’t make out what she yelled and what the response from the officer was.

2 Likes

Gotta protect them. How else to buy their silence about other shit happening on the force.

3 Likes

Same shit, different day; nothing ever changes because nothing ever changes.

14 Likes

Just repeatedly striking that guy in the base of his neck? They’re literally trying to kill him. Must of been because of all his terroristic threats.

And since when are cops allowed to have beards? How are they supposed to LARP in gasmasks?

11 Likes

As far as I can tell, it’s something along the lines of

woman: “Stop [hitting/beating] him! Get out of here!”
middle cop: inaudible
left cop: “Get [inaudible] back in the car!” (“Get your ass back in the car” maybe?)

4 Likes

I’ve seen that gif before and have wondered about the questionable (?) unfortunate (?) use of the eggplant. Yes, toy cops being steamrolled (okay by me) but by an eggplant?

I wonder if cop beards have the same secondary meaning that military beards acquired.

I could see it going either way: having a laid back facial hair policy suggests a relatively low readiness to break out the tear gas(and, in some cases, might indicate actual or at least legally-mandated sensitivity regarding the ethnic distribution of folliculitis barbae); but it might also indicate that just playing soldier is no longer good enough; and your department is playing tacticool ‘operator’ now.

3 Likes

Thanks to the internet and the prevalence of emojis, ‘eggplant’ is now most commonly associated with “penis.”

10 Likes

It’s not surprising if you remember the consequences of those incidents caught on camera, which is somewhere between nothing and an arbitration board finding they were improperly suspended and granting them a nice little settlement. Cops beat people with impunity, because we as a society have decided that’s what we want.

No. That’s what COPS decided they want and they have more power

5 Likes

No, I feel it is fair to blame our broader society. Every politician calling for increased police budgets isn’t losing their seats and the idea of defunding the cops is still a cause of endless pearl clutching. Our budgets are moral documents and we’ve embraced this behavior.

2 Likes