Arnold Schwarzenegger is apparently willing to join the MCU

Originally published at: Arnold Schwarzenegger is apparently willing to join the MCU | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I want to see him as Boliver Trask. Pure physical contrast after the role was filled by Peter Dinklage, but also a nice turn by having him be the creator of an army of robots that dominate bad future timelines.

8 Likes

Neat - and with absolutely none of his Terminator catchphrases, because it would annoy the shit out of the toxic nerds.

5 Likes

No, use the catchphrases … or at least parts of them. “I’ll be outside”, “Hasta mañana”, etc. You could get parts of catchphrases from some of his other characters too. “It’s not a timer.” as one example.

2 Likes

Careful, or you’ll get Mr Freeze again.

15 Likes

Well we’ve had David Hasselhoff already so why not Schwarzenegger? He does kinda resemble Master Man

2 Likes

They’ve always had a bit of a mix of that, though. And don’t forget, Robert Downey, Jr. was considered a really risky casting choice at the time. He was still mostly known as a talented actor who ruined his career through drug addiction in 2008. Iron Man helped him resurrect his career. Chris Hemsworth’s only notable role before Thor was a few minutes on screen as James Kirk’s father in the first Star Trek reboot. Mark Ruffalo was a well regarded actor when he took over the Hulk in 2011, but he was not a household name. Likewise, Chris Evans wasn’t a household name, either, even though he had already been in two comic book movies. More recently, the MCU has shown it will still grab a big name. Harrison Ford has been tapped to take over as Thunderbolt Ross.

3 Likes

I guess shilling for “World of Tanks” isn’t paying the bills.

“Get to the helicopter!”

3 Likes

Did someone ask him? :thinking:

2 Likes

20-30 years ago he would have made a great Colossus if he could be trained to pull off a Russian accent. (or just retcon his birthplace to East Germany for the movies?)

Of course, also, X-Men rights would have had to be with the rest of the MCU - but since none of this existed, point is mute.

I am not sure what role he would be great for in the MCU, other than maybe a general or pentagon official.

I remember in Wizard Magazine they would run segments where they make speculations on who would make a good casting of actors in comic roles. Glenn Danzig was built like Wolverine, and was a fun “what if?”

IIRC Lou Ferrigno had a cameo role in Ang Lee’s Hulk, but it’s shame they haven’t given him more cameos or even a small part in the MCU. Dude is a legend!

1 Like

Y’know, this shouldn’t be a surprise anyway. His son-in-law is MCU star after all.

1 Like

Hercules?

2 Likes

Marvel probably doesn’t have the film rights anymore, but they sure did put out a lot of Conan comics…

2 Likes

“Actor willing to take part in hugely successful series of films.”

Well, yeah, I’d expect so.

3 Likes

OK, but just to replace Stan Lee’s cameos

5 Likes

I don’t think he’s going to want to play a Nazi after he just tried to convince Russian soldiers to stop their invasion by telling them about his father.

Ferrigno also had a cameo in the MCU Hulk movie, just before the Norton anti-virus ad. He was also in Joe Arpaio’s posse and was deputized in states the Hulk would have been a drifter in (David Banner, not Bruce who leaps across international borders without regard). His Wikipedia article notes he was on The Celebrity Apprentice, and not the season which Schwarzenneger hosted. It seems they have some federal government work in common, too.

6 Likes

Sure, many years ago. Dude is 75 years old. In great shape for someone 75 years old, but not for a demigod.

1 Like

… I guess they’ve already introduced the character as an inhuman CGI monster, but Schwarzenegger would have been perfect for MODOK

total-recall

1 Like

Why do I see this as good news for neither Arnold nor the MCU?