This clip from Hercules in New York shows Arnold Schwarzenegger's growth as an actor

Originally published at: This clip from Hercules in New York shows Arnold Schwarzenegger's growth as an actor | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It’s also important to consider that he was just learning English at this point.

20 Likes

aka Hercules goes Bananas, look at it:

10 Likes

I’m going to give Cameron a lot of credit for Ahnold’s skill development. Certain lines in Terminator, while delivered straight by a block of wood, needed good timing (I’ll be back, F@@@ you @@@hole). True Lies is where he really started to shine (But they were all bad!).

By the time we got to Kindergarten Cop and Twins he had it down pat.

But as much as he sounded like a block of wood, he’s always been brilliant, managing his career, business, etc. I won’t comment on politics.

9 Likes

True Lies was 1994, after both Twins (1988) and Kindergarten Cop (1990).

10 Likes

Yup. IIRC, the first thing he did was begin taking English acceleration classes at Santa Monica CC.

10 Likes

I would say that movie is where Tom Arnold first had a chance to shine. I wasn’t a big fan of his but I really liked him in that movie.

9 Likes

Perhaps-not-so-coincidentally a 10-minute drive from Muscle Beach in Venice, CA.

9 Likes

Their most famous alum:

https://www.cccco.edu/About-Us/Notable-Alumni/Gov-Arnold-Schwarzenegger

Whatever else about his politics, Schwarzenegger firmly believed in the myth of the American Dream and set about to make it real for himself. It comes out very strongly from the time of his earliest interviews.

5 Likes

I remember only two things of that movie:

1. Jamie Lee Curtis.
  2. He used the same motorbike I had at the time for some stunts (Kawasaki GPZ500 - a maintenance nightmare, the only one among my bikes I really don’t miss).

EtA: GPZ500S in Europe, EX in USA.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this film. My favorite two he was in I think has to be Terminator and Predator. Total Recall was good too.

7 Likes

“C’mon, don’t bullshit me.”

Iconic line. I quote it once a day like I’m taking vitamins.

4 Likes

The actor who dubs Hercules’s voice is pretty hammy himself, although to be fair he does have to match Arnie’s timing.

3 Likes

arnold schwarzenegger its not a tumor GIF

14 Likes
4 Likes

And he vocally opposed talk about mass deportations for people who entered the country illegally, pointing out that even if we wanted to it would be a logistical impossibly to round up and deport 13 Million people from the country.

Easily one of the most reasonable Republican politicians of his generation. Of course, considering the company he’s in that’s kind of like saying he’s the most appetizing turd in the dung heap.

13 Likes

He certainly came out hard against Trump’s Nazi-coddling positions early on. Yes, the very lowest of bars, but one that he met better than pretty much every other Republican politician. And he had some great lines in that message, which carried a lot of weight from someone who grew up in post-war Austria.

25 Likes

I voted against him during the Calif governor recall in 2003 (was it?), though I do appreciate his speaking out for reason in the years since leaving office.

Curious, though: Why do the repubs always talk smack about Hollywood but then want the actors to lead them in government? Not only Arnold, but you got Reagan, Sonny Bono, Fred “Gopher” Grandy, and of course, the Orange Turd. I’m sure there are others. Of course, there is Al Franken on the Dem side, but he is nearly the only most notable.

2 Likes

Same reason they like to talk a big game about Traditional Family Values and bemoan society’s moral decay while electing serial philanderers who have multiple failed marriages to their names.

10 Likes

He was surprisingly decent in Maggie.

8 Likes