Art Spiegelman's graphic novel Maus now banned in Tennessee schools

Originally published at: Art Spiegelman's graphic novel Maus now banned in Tennessee schools | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Cochran proposed revisiting the entire curriculum over concerns it was developed to “normalise sexuality, normalise nudity and normalise vulgar language.”

Maus does nothing of the sort.

Instead, it artfully condemns the grotesque dehumanization of an entire people that was the Holocaust. And none of the nudity or “vulgar language” is in any way gratuitous.

What the fuck!

66 Likes

The school board in Mcminn county was offended by the “objectionable language,” including “God damn,” as well as a “naked picture” — a cartoon drawing of an undressed mouse

Their priorities tell the whole story about their worldview. These are the people who, if not fascists themselves, make fascism possible.

53 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-ffs

38 Likes

Silly me, and I thought these yahoos were concerned about censorship.

29 Likes

1-RxmPeSybIUtxea4Vh98y2g

19 Likes

I think there’s more than idiocy at work here. This Mike Cochran person in particular can’t quite come out and say it, but also seems to object to children being “indoctrinated” into not giving fair and balanced consideration to the position of white supremacist fascists.

45 Likes
41 Likes

Obligatory.

62 Likes

Yes, I agree. I was being a bit flippant about that.

Well, I’ve just ordered Maus from Amazon for my 14 year old.

37 Likes

Yeah, well, their own sacred text celebrates a man willing to sacrifice his own son, secret murder of occupying leaders, and a leader who sent their rival to die so they can sleep with their wife etc. etc. And, later, an activist rebel who undermines proper authority figures at any and every opportunity, and suggests that all people are equal and deserving of respect, even tax collectors and prostitutes.
It’s a slippery slope if you let that one through.

(Note: I’m happy to declare myself a Christian, mostly due to the latter observations than the former, mind. But I live in the UK where - at least religion-wise - we haven’t quite gone that mad.)

29 Likes

Be sure to get both volumes! I also think the second is the better one.

18 Likes

It must be because this book doesn’t usually have illustrations. If only they had access to a version with realistic drawings…

19 Likes

Given time I’m sure Mr. Cochran will just come out and say it. Republicans don’t bother keeping the quiet parts quiet anymore.

28 Likes

Unanimous decision.

I just can’t. And I won’t. Except for: How many of them actually even opened the book?

31 Likes

Only enough to find the naughty picture and cuss words. What more do you need!

/s

23 Likes

I didn’t know this was a thing. I was thinking it’s about time to start a gofundme campaign to create a biblical graphic novel authentically portrays the sex and violence in the Bible, especially the Old Testament. If buck nekkid Adam and Eve don’t get it banned, then the Songs of Solomon should do the trick.

I wonder how much it would cost to create such a thing, hiring artists and paying fair wages, printing on good paper stock, etc.

Maybe this will be my new pet project…

11 Likes

Maybe these guyes are just fans of Mr. Harvey Pekar.

4 Likes

…there’s just so much wrong with this, none of the snarky comments I can come up with will help me feel better about it.

18 Likes

Is such a distinction necessary, or useful? I think the Neil Gaiman quote sets it out pretty well. Once you’re banning Maus you’ve crossed that line, regardless of what you think you’re doing.

19 Likes