Art Spiegelman's graphic novel Maus now banned in Tennessee schools

You can also read Doc Frankenstein #6 by Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski and Steve Skroce.

http://www.burlymanentertainment.com/site/html/br_doc_frank6.html

2 Likes

No. They’re just literal bigots who don’t want kids to learn where bigotry can lead… I doubt they’ve thought that hard about anything in their lives, in fact.

31 Likes

I guess ONE of them opened it, copied the passage for the others, and put it in their agenda.

Maybe.

Because possibly, they just got send a picture on their “social” media.

12 Likes

Thank you.

And ICYMI, one more possible piece of material, but please note, it is somewhat graphic in several senses of the word. As a parent, I urge you to look it over before offering it up as reading fare:

Every kid is different. I offered this book to mine, got some major pushback after just a few pages in, so I stopped. It’s still on my shelf.

Signed,
a child of empire herself

16 Likes

Wow. There’s only one acceptable ending to the sentence starting with “Hitler was right about one thing…” and that’s “Hitler needed a bullet to the head.”

19 Likes

Bah, and I was thinking that at least they’ve read the book, reviews and even solid criticism like Harvey Pekar wrote. I think they just let the prejudice flow freely.

Years ago they tried to do something similar here. They targeted a book by Will Eisner called “A Contract with God.” Somehow this kind of attitude didn’t find an echo around here and I haven’t read anything like it in the press since 2009.

11 Likes

Thanks for this–Zinn’s stuff is fantastic. I have his textbooks, which inform the notes I use to teach the US history survey to college students. My kids got a steady stream of this growing up.

16 Likes

IIRC it also references a comic Spiegelman drew years prior as he was working through the trauma of his mother’s suicide. This comic had one panel showing his (human) mother’s naked corpse in the bathtub where she slit her wrists. Like the other nudity in Maus it’s presented as pretty much the polar opposite of erotic.

24 Likes

No, not really. I’m sure they read it over once, saw curse words, violence, and some nudity, and just assumed that no child should read it.

Yep and just pretend it’s about “protecting the children”… Bunch of assholes.

That’s an excellent work, too! Eisner is pretty much responsible for the whole graphic novel format - telling more “realist” stories with comics.

17 Likes

Wow–good on ya!

I have managed to find myself in a family (my immediate family) that has nearly no interest in things political. I fear I did something wrong. Oh well, they have been having to live with me, poor lads.

Thanks for being a teacher. Big work! Good to hear.

11 Likes

It reminds me this comic book about people trying to ban books from the library of a small town.

12 Likes

Thanks. But it turned one of my kids pretty conservative, another center-right. I’ve got one more to try to gently nudge in the “correct” direction. :person_shrugging:t2:

11 Likes

That looks excellent! Thanks!

8 Likes

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

17 Likes

Is Maus banned in all Tennessee schools, or just in one county? Because BoingBoing’s article seems to suggest the former, whereas I’m reading that the school board in question is from McMinn County.

1 Like

Does it? Not to me.

The phrase “now banned in Tennessee schools” doesn’t include the word “all.”

10 Likes

Their sacred text is Mein Kaumf

5 Likes

Today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

11 Likes

I don’t know. If I read “Tenneessee Oreos now poisoned”, I wouldn’t be buying milk. On the other hand, it’s a fairly deep semantic debate that I don’t wanna get into right now, so…

2 Likes

At the end of the day, does it matter if it’s just one district? Is it okay for one school district to ban such important works that help young people understand the Holocaust, given that our direct connection to those events are dying out? And if this flies here, you can rest assured other school boards, dominated by right wing ideologies will follow suit, not just in TN, but all across the country. This is a test case to see what they can get away with. We stop this kind of shit NOW, or it spreads.

15 Likes