Article discussion pages missing

post was funny in the cms, rob later fixed it.

This page is missing a discussion page as far as I can tell.

The Discuss link at the bottom does a weird two-step loop that just leads back to the original article, and searching for the discussion page amongst BBS itself finds nothing.

1 Like

I’ve just now noticed this seems to be a problem with all Kiki Sanford articles. The BBS pages don’t seem to exist, and the Discuss links at the bottom of her articles don’t go anywhere.

This generally means the author doesn’t have an account on BBS as I recall cc: @beschizza @deanputney

I just assumed this was because the author didn’t want a massive climate-denial trollfight.

4 Likes

Aha I remembered. This is because the author does have a bbs account but lacks membership in the group to post new topics to the boing category!

I added her to the guest authors group so this should be fixed for future posts by Dr. Kiki.

Thanks for working this out! I was wondering why I couldn’t reply to anything, AND why there were absolutely no comments generally on my articles this week.

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

This one now says “comments are closed” when you hit the “discuss” link:

We gonna get to whack a few pinatas today, or not?

So because I never go to BB any more I’ve missed out on a load of science posts? I has a sad.

1 Like

I would guess that thread auto-closed due to excess un-worked flags. I seem to recall that is a feature of the BBS.

Not the only one with the loop, either.

I guess I should have tried the comments link before I made the popcorn. A little disappointed, but I should probably be working, anyway.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. Can I suggest also adding a discussion page to the ‘Humanity at Night’ article which is still showing front page of the Features section?

No, that is definitely not the case – there was no discussion topic created for that WordPress post whatsoever. Sorry about that @DrKiki!

If what you described happens, you’d see an auto-inserted staff (dragon flame yellow) message inserted before the close. You’d know. Everyone would know.

@anon73192581 I don’t know if discussion can be linked to a wordpress post after the fact, though.

1 Like

I haven’t been checking Kiki’s recent articles, but this one also doesn’t have a discussion page (and has a loop like the above):

1 Like

I raised this with @beschizza a few days ago, we are sending the username Dr. Kiki to us and we have no idea what to do with it. There is a missing mapping in Wordpress.

2 Likes

@codinghorror: Maggie Tokuda-Hall’s posts seem to be doing the Discuss → Continue This Discussion loop too. (At least the Portlandia All-Male Feminist Meeting and Understanding American Football ones.)

1 Like

and everyone else

1 Like

yes, raised that with @beschizza he is on it.

I am beginning to suspect this is a ploy to get us to bother looking at the main site again.

Evidently there are authors and articles I am entirely unaware of.

1 Like