Artifacts from Our Dystopia

Sometimes I look at something and go, “I wonder what alien archaeologists would think of us.”

The Rules:

1. Try to post photos you have taken yourself while out and about in the world. (Anyone can go somewhere on the Internet and find 20 things in as many minutes that are signs of the end times.)
  2. Screengrabs are okay, but to be avoided unless you stumbled on something that is begging to be on here, but nothing with content (Tweets, memes, etc.) focus on “artifacts.” (Ads, products, etc.)
  3. Have fun?
2 Likes

Found at Location: A Staples store. Midwestern United States.
Stratigraphic Layer: Anthropocene, Late Retail Period. in a bargain bin beneath copies of Command and Conquer 4, Rise of Nations, and any number of card games, and photo editing software no one has ever heard of.

Notes: Indicates a culture keen on practicing recreational cruelty in training for some sort of accumulation of wealth.

6 Likes

So I can’t find the picture of the “How to Draw your Fursona” book I saw at Michaels, but I did take this at CVS.

9 Likes

Shrine to unknown deity, central Europe, ca. 50 BSH.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Late Retail Era, Midwestern Shopping Mall.

6 Likes

emergency-moustache

4 Likes

Roadside billboard, late fossil fuel era:

8 Likes

Wynwood, found wedged in a car window in the late 20 teens. During this period the use of art as a store of capital was common.

3 Likes

Traditional casket for burials at sea, SuperCali / Democratic People’s Republic of North America, ca. 50 BSH.

4 Likes

I came across this image recently while doing some research on artist Alexander Calder.

calder

Immediately made me think of the Venus of Wilendorf, in terms of “future artifact.”

[ETA: sorry, no it’s not a photo I took in the real world, but “future artifact” is the exact thing I thought when I saw it, so here it is.]

2 Likes

Trinket (?), gilded bronze, carbon-dated as from around 50-60 BSH.
Origin or function unknown; possibly a decoration honouring advertising executives.

3 Likes

Sign posted at refueling depot: Late carbonaceous.

6 Likes

Period: American Labor Dormancy

5 Likes

Item: Application advertising.
Period: Garbage Information Age.

CW: Violence against women.

3 Likes

Abandoned bookstore philosophy section: Monopolistic Book Retailer Dominance Period.

Rand, but no Rawls.

1 Like

ETA:

This thing is as fucking real as satire is official dead now.
(https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/product-p/sloganwall.htm)

5 Likes

I did not doubt, for a fucking unit of Planck time, that it was real. Satire is not just dead, the daisies are rather beautiful.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.