Fossil Necklace: chronologically ordered beads from the planet's history

[Permalink]

1 Like

They look like the most ironic rosary beads ever.

6 Likes

My version was filthier, but yours is funnier.

3 Likes

It’s precious and symbolic…scientific, yet a piece of jewelry.
But it gives off an air of untouchability and haughty exclusiveness.

From afar it looks just like a necklace.
Perhaps because it is. Or is it more?
Made of fossils and the very substances of Earth

Will this be reproduced in a more mass-market fashion,
for instance, made of less one-of-a-kind plastic replica fossil beads?

Talk about cramming history.

2 Likes

I’m usually not particularly interested in jewelry (though I can appreciate it in practice when utilized particularly well) but I quite like this.

The geologic time scale is perhaps the most basic and essential reference used by geologists, so it has a special place in most geoscientists’ hearts.

I’m not a paleontologist or particularly interested in fossils (though I understand the fascination many people have with them) but this is definitely a more compelling piece/collection than something similar done with plain rocks and minerals would be – though actually I still think that’d be cool.

In fact I’d like to see displays set up like this in museums (comprised of fossils along with rocks and minerals to fill out the rest of time), so you could walk by and touch all of geologic time in a few seconds. A lot of times the rock and mineral rooms are pretty boring (though I’m sure I have a different perspective on it than most).

1 Like

Cool (apparently my post must be more than size characters long… Fascists!)

1 Like

I’ve seen some museums do this, Berlin springs to mind, thankfully all museums are different so some have the elegant rows of cases, and others hands on displays, and others have both…

Well, it is art. Plastic copies rather defeat the point

Made by immortal, stone-age Maesters?

I can imagine someone in the Future Stone Age saying “And this is the Tale of the Ancestors…And in the Beginning, the seas and the lands were in chaos, and without life…” and going on until they get to The Clay Tablet, The Microchip…and whatever will lay us low (or elevate us, who’s to know that we might edit nature and ourselves to like this kind of thing?) the next time.

No, there’s no Crucifix, no join and no Decades. And what’s so bad about having a mantra? The Vatican has accepted the Big Bang theory, and is pretty much a supporter of evolution, too.

A witty remark proves nothing. --Voltaire

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.