"Cthulhu was real!" say scientists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/16/cthulhu-was-real-say-scie.html

7 Likes

Ia! Ia! Sollasina F’thagan!

25 Likes
17 Likes

Fixed that for the article author

17 Likes

I love early Pre-Cambrian shit. It’s so alien in a lot of ways. I do wish they would show the original fossil.

Speaking of fossils, I got me a fern, 2 real trilobites, and probably a cast of one at a recent Gem and Mineral show.

You can view it in my overshare thread:

8 Likes

cthulhu nigiri

6 Likes

Paleontologists have identified a 430 million-year-old fossil of a multi-tentacled sea creature as a new species and dubbed it Sollasina cthulhu after HP Lovecraft’s Great Old One.

“Deep in the dark and dusty stacks of Miskatonic University’s biology library, Ezekiel North pulled the forbidden volume “Taxonomy of Sea Organisms” from the shelf and opened it. His eyes immediately alighted upon the entry, and the name he beheld conjured a reverie of squamous and chtonic visions out of a madman’s nightmares…”

17 Likes

Microbiologists were first in identifying Cthulhu – already in 2013.

6 Likes

Obligs-ish…

Cthulhu%2C%20Lord%20and%20Savior

33 Likes

omg, that picture O_O
i’d love to know the story behind THAT…

12 Likes

It only starts that small:

8 Likes

Agreed, ediacaran biota are fascinating. There are thoughts that modern comb jellies may be extant ediacaran based on way significant differences in how their central nervous system functions. However, article says this was from 430 million yes ago, Cambrian was roughly 540 to 490 million yes ago. This is more like ordovician to silurian.

6 Likes

IKEA__Accidentally%20summoning%20The%20Old%20Ones

21 Likes

Oops, good catch.

4 Likes

Better title,

Cthulhu now real, thanks to scientists

6 Likes

You have to be careful swimming in the Salt Lake.

2 Likes
9 Likes

I wonder if they were good to eat?

2 Likes

I loled so hard that image is hilarious

Near the end of my street, there is a Jehovah’s Witness temple/church/whatever they call their place.

They have no idea someone with a satanic altar covered with medical bone saws and a copy of the lament configuration from Hellraiser now lives on this street, muahahaha.

I have seriously discussed with girlfriend the fun that could be had by showing up at their door in stereotypical Satanist garb doing this exact spiel back at them in seriousness. I think it would be f*cking hilarious, but I’m warped, haha.

(ftr- I do have the altar, but I’m non-religious, I just keep the altar as a place to assemble my bone saws, satanic themed crossstitches, evil puzzle boxes, and 18th century accounts of the inquisition with badass 9 headed dragon beasts from the bible on. Not a joke, I actually meant this, and actually have these things, because I think theyre cool)

8 Likes

Needs more “eldritch”.

3 Likes