Artist Adam Murphy's fantastic Tintin - Indiana Jones mashups

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/02/artist-adam-murphys-fantastic-tintin-indiana-jones-mashups.html

12 Likes

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeutiful!

8 Likes

Fantastic!

9 Likes

Some publisher is going to be very happy if it offers him a book deal based on these wonderful covers.

6 Likes

Images are copyright Adam Murphy and posted with his permission .

I’m so glad he’s given HIS permission to reproduce HIS 100% original artworks.

Takes a pair to copyright someone else’s creations.

There’s MAGA folks selling t-shirts with the photo of the bullet passing by Trump’s head - I’m really doubtful the photographer is seeing a penny from that blatant theft.

The copyrights belong to the Hergé estate & Lucasfilm. Any other claims of ownership is misrepresentation and fraud.

Sorry to piss on the concept, I think it’s hella cool.

Well, if someone picks up the reins of the “most wonderful thing of the month” contest, we’ll have our first submission.

6 Likes

Isn’t transformative use in a non-commercial venue allowed? To make it an actual book, he’d need permission.

4 Likes

Don’t even ask me what I would give to make these books real.

Insert ‘shut up and take my money’ gif.

But he will need a story teller, perhaps, to come up with actual adventures. (Copyright issues, aside.)

3 Likes

Er, what?

People make fan art or make posters/prints of trademarked characters all the time. They still have a copyright. I’ve got dozens of prints by comic artists like this.

Hergé estate & Lucasfilm.still own the character trademarks, but copyright for a specific work is a different thing.

8 Likes

Tindiana Jones!

4 Likes

I’m just trying to wrap my head around how you can claim legal ownership/rights to a work that is totally of someone else’s effort.
I’m assuming the guy pays his rent by means of his artwork and even if he isn’t actually making a $1 off the Tin Tin stuff, it is still bringing customers to his door (so to speak).

The Hergé estate don’t own the rights to Tintin

The copyights to the original stories start expiring in 2026, but the first couple are the B&W versions of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (there are valid criticisms of the Soviet Union from the 1920s, but this is not one of them), and Tintin in the Congo (even more racist than the colour version from 1946, if you can believe that) in 2027.

8 Likes

NAL, but been in the design biz a while, and observations from like 30 years of going to cons:

The artists doesn’t own rights to the character, but they do for the art they produce.

Say I drew Deadpool and made 100 prints and sold them at a comic con and/or posted it on the internet, ok?

And then someone took that design off the internet and made it into a tshirt or stickers (like those 1000s of POD merch sites do). They are are violating my copyright using my art with out permission.

Marvel can look at my design and try to enforce their rights of the character likeness (as well as the trademark if I was silly enough to use a trademarked Deadpool logo/name on it), send me a cease and desist letter to stop selling stuff. Though they can’t stop me from actually making and posting art. That’s fair use.

However, THEY can’t take what I did and say put it on a comic book or make merch out of it. They may own the character and the trademark, but they don’t own the copyright to that specific work.

And generally, if this guy did want to make some prints with TinTin and Indy, no one would care. The good will they would lose isn’t worth the hundreds of dollars this guy would make selling prints.

Now, many established artists DO get licensed deals. There is a local pop culture artists who draws everything from Star Wars to Doctor Who to LotR, etc. His prints are usually $xx, but the handful of limited ed licensed prints are more as he is paying a fee to use the property officially.

5 Likes

As a fan of Tintin, going back to the late 1960s, Murphy’s mashups made me happy.

Yeah, Herge was racist, but so was much of the world back then.

1 Like

It was more of a warning that the soon to be public domain Tintin strips are not going to be the Tintin that most people remember. Most of the Tintin books I remember were the post-WW2 stories.

There’s something there for artists making artwork like this, but the unmodified stuff will be awful.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.