Artist and SFX firm create creepy animatronic erotic dancer

I wonder if the guy has already been approached by the people that are willing to pay top dollar for a Miley Cyrus version.

1 Like

Thereā€™s one big difference. The idea of an animated Kim Bassinger getting wasted and dancing to old skool Moby rave music in a tantalizing fashion is quite appealing, and theā€¦ thingā€¦ this post was about is most certainly not.

And yes, Iā€™m asserting my own personal taste and disfunctions here.

Edit: And you know, Iā€™m not positive Iā€™ve EVER watched Cool World from beginning to end. Which is a shame, considering the soundtrack was one of the main things that got me into my lifelong obsession with electronic music (the fact that my cousin passed me a pre-rolled jay in the cassette case when he loaned me the tape didnā€™t hurt, most likely). Time to fire this movie up.

Nobody questions that R2-D2 apparently has a gender identity and heā€™s basically just a trash can on wheels.

4 Likes

Not necessarily. I saw this for the first time a year or two ago and it was so badly written that it just made me angry. For example, in the beginning of the movie Brad Pitt gets sucked into a cartoon world for no apparent reason and is immediately hired as a cop in a society where the only law is that humans canā€™t fuck cartoon characters. Did I mention that Brad Pitt is the ONLY human in this crazy cartoon world at this point in the film and remains so for the next 47 years?

Iā€™d really hoped to enjoy the film, but it was pretty obvious in retrospect that the only reason it got the green light was that Paramount wanted a piece of Roger Rabbitā€™s commercial success.

1 Like

Prepare to walk away disappointed - or at best, ā€œmehā€. The soundtrack is great (features one of my favorite bands, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult). There are some great parts of animation. But overall it was a mess. Read the back story on the making of the film. Basically Bakshi had a great idea for an R rated horror film, and then studio was like ā€œawesome lets do it!ā€. Then they hired some other guy (Frank Mancuso, JR) who completely re-wrote the script, dumbed it down to PG-13, and later had Bassinger trying to make changes during filming.

I do take some solace that at one point Bakshi popped Mancuso in the mouth. But in the end, he was forced to make a film he no longer cared about and it showed. All the non-nonsensical background action throughout the film is a result of him basically telling the animators to have fun and do what ever they wanted.

Me too. Itā€™s a shame that it could have been so much more.

1 Like

Christ, that IS appalling. We all know humans and cartoons are destined to shag.

1 Like

The Walking Dead could use it for their Las Vegas episode.

1 Like

Itā€™s dancing erotically to Paul Simonā€™s Graceland? Robots have got a lot to learn.

4 Likes

So, nobody else thought Tina Turner in that first clip?

Well, itā€™s certainly turning me off in interesting ways.

Iā€™m pretty sure the LGBT nerd set considers R2-D2 a lesbian.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit of both. Iā€™ve definitely caught the ape doing things that I come up with intellectual justifications for afterwardā€¦ though Iā€™ve stopped bothering for some of them, since I know where theyā€™re coming from.On the other hand, heā€™s a pretty well-trained animal for the most part.

I think itā€™s meant to be unsettling. It isnā€™t just an robot erotic dancer with a creepy face; it maintains eye contact and watches you as you watch it. The fact that itā€™s impaled on a pole (along with the fact it looks like itā€™s been through some rough times) seems to indicate that itā€™s a critique of some kind, perhaps of sexual objectification.

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t that make it an Arduino broad?

Sex with robots? R2 was seen at the truck stop giving handies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.