Artist trains AI to generate new pictures of herself

Originally published at: Artist trains AI to generate new pictures of herself | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Is AI the correct description for the tool being used here? I can see the artificial part; but the intelligence seems to be human.

2 Likes

More of a “Ceci n’est pas Olesya” / Treachery of Images than “X does not exist”, really.

4 Likes

No doubt someone has already done This GAN Does Not Exist, which randomly generates a different GAN generating things that do not exist every time you refresh the page.

6 Likes

Quite so. In my humble reading of the current publications which declare ‘A.I.’ the large majority are (just) iterative statistics. And since most Bayesian implementations are iterative to start with, they get to declare themselves a “A.I.”. (12,000 years ago, when all computer terminals were green ascii, ‘A.I.’ were all language parsing databases)

Or as one of my colleagues bemoaned recently: “pfff… all A.I. is is just was we used to call curve fitting

(whutza “fax machine”…?)

4 Likes

I could see something like this being used to correct for lens distortion once a baseline has been established. Maybe in realtime video? I don’t know much about this. Maybe it’s being done already.

1 Like

That’s really cool she’s making those different versions of herself. This machine learning is addictive. I’ve been messing around with it recently. Here’s a test of some stuff:

(The audio, a looping track, is better with headphones)

6 Likes

Ooh, that’s cool.

2 Likes

wonder if it works in places like…

1 Like

How long until someone makes a This Atoll Does Not Exist site?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.