As Covid cases skyrocket in Arkansas, Gov. Asa Hutchinson says he now "regrets" banning school mask mandate

Singing my song.

11 Likes

Regrets, he has a few
But then again
There are too few constituents left to mention

11 Likes

This is what he needs to be called out on. And he’s still failing to deal with it as he has not seen fit to go down the ‘emergency order’ route.

He killed them hiiiis way.

15 Likes

The collateral damage from stupidity has always been high.

6 Likes

Maybe foreigners shouldn’t go on Disneyworld. Two months and Florida could go broke

7 Likes

I wonder if the idiots will ever realize that it’s the Republicans who are doing this, who are consistently keeping them down, and who are deluding them into playing against their own interests?

Meh. Too stupid.

9 Likes

No, they will not realize it. This is a studied psychological phenomenon.

Older, but relevant:

13 Likes

He can say sorry all he likes, but at minimum he should be working to repeal harmful legislation that he had a hand in. Don’t just wait for the courts to decide, do something about it now.

5 Likes

Big
Energy.

16 Likes

My wife and I went to a meeting in Summer of 2020 with a School Board Member .
He was going to tell the parents , what steps the Schools would take to protect children from COVID that fall.
They would not let us in till they checked our temperatures.
We had to have mask on .
And they had everyone sitting six feet apart. (Even married couples were six feet apart)

What did the man say?
Our Lawyers tell us we can not order Kids to wear the Masks. But they still have to wear the School Uniforms
We will not be checking Temperatures before the kids enter the buildings.
And our class rooms were designed for 25 to 30 students. Most of our classes have 30 to 35 students in the classrooms so we can not social distance .

My wife lost it and grab my arm , declaring "We will home school him’ .

10 Likes

My congressman Republican Mo Brook once said about Health Care “Only Bad People get Sick”.
"A few year latter , Mo announce that he had cancer.
What does that make you Mo, if only Bad People get sick?

7 Likes

To be fair, there may be a good chance that he doesn’t understand how the legislative process works.

Or contagious disease.

Or much really…

7 Likes

“I signed it for those reasons… our cases were at a low point…”

He continues:

“I wish I hadn’t sold away my bed frame and mattress and pajamas.
But, in my defense, it was the daytime.”

11 Likes

So sorry to hear he’s yours. I’m stuck with Barry Moore, who benefits from not being Mo Brooks.

5 Likes

Yeah, damn shame it works so well.

2 Likes

At least there’s some honesty that it was a bad idea. That’s revolutionary with the current era.

2 Likes

A lot of what you say here is helpful, but I don’t think state-by-state comparisons hold much water. beyond the fact of their low sample size, states are quite dofferent from each other socially, politically and geographically in ways beyond mask policy. Also, within themselves, they aren’t homogenous. People wore masks voluntarily at high rates in regions of states without mandates, and people rejected mamdates in regions of states with mandates. The penalties and enforcement also varied greatly.

3 Likes

I agree, individual state-by-state comparisons are mostly useless, but in aggregate they have some usefulness. Similarly, time series within a single state or city also have minimal value because any effects get swamped by all the other (mostly uncontrolled or uncontrollable) factors that influence spread of diseases through a population. But in aggregate, looking at all such time series can be useful if done carefully. If these kinds of analyses don’t have any value, then what analyses do? Because it sounds like essentially what you’re telling that we have no way of determining which of many possible policy decisions is actually useful or worthwhile, because the results aren’t visible in the data. If that’s really true, and none of the possible policies tried anywhere are clearly advantageous, then the conclusions should be that we take the least-restrictive, least-expensive of the indistinguishable options. I don’t think such a fully libertarian approach is the best conclusion (though the longer we in the US spend in this era of widely-available-highly-effective-yes-even-against-delta vaccines, the more defensible that position gets).

2 Likes

Is there any discussion in that course about wearing goggles and how much transmission is from airborne infection of the eyes rather than nose/mouth?

I don’t remember seeing any, but I could have missed it, and it’s always possible they’ve updated or added to it.