As the Millennium Tower approaches maximum lean San Francisco asks for a new expert

If the folks making the decisions were to do the right thing right now, they would dismantle the place. I agree with you there. The problem is, dismantling is the most expensive and therefore very last resort for the developers and homeowners right now.

We can likely expect half measures and inaction before it either collapses or someone makes it more expensive for them to not disassemble the building.

4 Likes

Over here in Metricland, I read it as seconds of angle and was getting really confused about how a building could have been built with so little tolerance.

15 Likes

We really need to be putting less, not more pressure on this gentleman, because it has long been established that the angle of the dangle is proportional to the heat of the meat

7 Likes

They need to call in the heavy hitter from Chicago, Abe Froman, Sausage King.

f9037a2a-2553-490e-9b72-52b09d632e31_text

3 Likes

Ronald Hamburger is a real engineering hot dog.

You’re welcome.

10 Likes

I think it’s more that Hamburger keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It’s gotten worse three times from trying three times to add piles on the west. This is just the city saying, “look, we only have 6” left, we need more ideas here”

The city isn’t boondoggling this- they are very carefully working the problem to solve it. The developer botched it very badly and the plan should never have been approved, but it will get fixed. The adults have arrived on the scene now.

I think that’s really unlikely. Much worse problems than this have been fixed. For every Surfside Condo incident, there’s 100 more that nobody hears about. The Citicorp tower, for example was much much more serious and was quietly fixed. It wasn’t until many years later than anyone knew how close that thing came to coming down.

18 Likes

But he is a lean expert.

2 Likes

Michael Jackson Mj GIF

12 Likes

Oh, so we can fix it with special shoes?

9 Likes

God I love Peskin, it’s not even his district.

1 Like

Just build another tower right next to it leaning the other way and bolt them together.

15 Likes

Yep, one of these days too many fat people will get into the wrong elevator, too many pigeons will land on the downhill side of the building, and there will be an otherwise unnoticeable earthquake, all at the same time. The thing will just topple over cause damage and death that will rival that of one of the World Trade Center towers.

1 Like

2d20cefe2a8eb2ead6fbfbc3b8159b11e73c9806_2_500x500

29 Likes

It’s called job growth. Welcome to our new post-pandemic economy.

Not a bad concept; but like most projects; only about 10 cents on the dollar might go to the standard labour part of the project. :confused:

2 Likes

Sure, I think this one:

And much leaning ensued…

11 Likes

Be serious. What they need is the services of an experienced lumberjack. Somebody who can cut out a kerf somewhere above ground level, reweld the steel and bog it up with cement and that’ll take the lean out of it for sure for sure.
Ronald Hamburger knows his onions. I just hope that curtain wall is glued on real good before large heavy panes of glass start taking care of pedestrians.

3 Likes

Or maybe just move all the heavier residents to units on the Southeast side of the building?

8 Likes

Rumors are the new engineer will be Casper Frankfurter

7 Likes

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

1 Like

Once it passes 29 inches, it will rapidly pass 29 feet, then 290 feet and more.

6 Likes