Of course, more negligence is claimed at San Francisco's leaning Millennium Tower

Originally published at: Of course, more negligence is claimed at San Francisco's leaning Millennium Tower | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I suppose they think they can just mind trick everyone into thinking things are A-OK.

psst THEY’RE NOT.

It’s going to fall down…

10 Likes

“Yeah well maybe it’s actually the REST of the city that’s actually leaning in the OTHER direction!”

14 Likes

Has anyone done a back-of-the-envelope calculation on just how much death & destruction will be caused when this thing falls over? Because there’s a 100% certainty that’s how this ends.

5 Likes

They have to time-travel on a winged unicorn to prevent it from falling over.

9 Likes

I am still amazed that so far no one has gone to jail for this. In SF’s building permit department specifically.

Someone signed off on this spectacularly poorly-thought-out variance from all known skyscraper construction principles.

Everywhere else: you better sink those supports into the bedrock.

This case: I’m sure a half-assed group of pylons in reclaimed sea silt for one of SF’s biggest buildings ever will be just fine.

4 Likes

Wow, they really are just going to ignore this problem until a goddamn skyscraper just topples over, aren’t they? I’ve got to wonder what steps people in the surrounding buildings have been taking for their own safety.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Anybody happen to catch this on PBS recently?

2 Likes

Train wreck in slow-mo, thanks San Francisco.

2 Likes

Still waiting for the building to collapse. Gravity will do its work whether they want to or not

2 Likes

this story comes to mind–

1 Like

This is going to be an entire season of Engineering Catastrophes.

2 Likes

What if drill at the opposite side of the building. The building might leans to the other side. I know this sounds crazy and playing with human life. When you can’t keep drilling on this side and it is leaning even more. What choices do you have?

Get the developer to tear is down?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.