Foundation repairs have apparently worsened the lean at San Francisco's failing Millenium Tower

Originally published at: Foundation repairs have apparently worsened the lean at San Francisco's failing Millenium Tower | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This Is Fine GIF

21 Likes

32 Likes

Hidden gem: A man whose parents named him Ronald Hamburger.

24 Likes

Deteriorating foundation is the California story.

7 Likes

Tear it down along with capitalism

15 Likes
  1. I thought skyscrapers were built on bedrock.

2. “There has been no material harm to the building, and it remains fully safe.” Wasn’t Champlain Towers fully safe until it collapsed? I’d want a second opinion that’s independent of the HOA.

14 Likes

I smell several a large number of lawsuits.

They should be forced to empty the structure and dismantle it.

11 Likes

Dear Wife and I took a gander on Monday, yup it’s leaning way the f@ck over.

14 Likes

The problem is money. Money makes people build broken things. Money makes people not fix broken things. Money makes people not help people who need help. Money makes people prohibit vaccine and mask mandates. Money makes people charge for virus testing. Money makes people charge for rides out of Afghanistan.

12 Likes

Generally yes, especially the mega structures like these. But not always, and that’s the problem in this case. Don’t know if info has been revised since this article, but it’s a good resource to start with. An engineer’s short, simple explanation of Millennium Tower problem - Curbed SF

17 Likes

The Leaning Tower of Pisa Peet’s Coffee.

10 Likes

CIVIL ENGINEER: This building is leaning dangerously and is structurally unsound. We can’t guarantee that any amount of money can make the building safe at this point.

REALTOR (Typing): “No expense has been spared on this building’s Italian-inspired architecture.”

20 Likes

Nothing to worry about; I’m sure that it will all shake out in the next sizable earthquake.

13 Likes

More like Milleannium Tower, huh?

15 Likes

Tell mew this isn’t Ronald McDonald moonlighting, please.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 17.26.13

ETA I see @knoxblox nearly beat me to it. :wink:

Especially when every piece of furniture on the higher floors now needs chocks under legs at one end to restore surfaces to level.

7 Likes

He looks pretty chill with his name.

8 Likes

They are losing a huge cross-market tie-in opportunity:

"A Foundation repair? Call Hari Seldon!"
                  On AppleTV starting Sept 21

16 Likes

“…does not present a structural concern.”

‘>’>translator activated’<’<

“The building is so strong that even once it’s on its side, it will be undisturbed. We encourage residents to begin preparing to mount furniture on walls now so that their future dinner plans may proceed in an uninterrupted fashion.”

10 Likes

There are lots of flimsy little buildings to break its fall.

10 Likes