Ron Hamburger has a new plan to fix the leaning Millennium Tower

Originally published at: Ron Hamburger has a new plan to fix the leaning Millennium Tower | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I wonder what has been happening to the insurance premiums of all the neighboring buildings?

13 Likes

I hope Hamburger really leans into this plan.

10 Likes

Of course this is safe. There’s absolutely no doubt about that. The Millennium Tower is as strong, solid and as safe as any other building - provided of course people believe in it.

9 Likes

Engineer Hamburger also suggested they make the 18 new piles of french fries with special secret sauce. Mayor McCheese has endorsed the plan.

13 Likes

So they d/c’ed the plan to put a big fan on top?

11 Likes

As a former general contractor, this whole problem is the stuff of my nightmares. I can’t even imagine the tangled mess of lawsuits and scary potential physical disasters that can come of this. Or even possibly the demolition of the whole structure. If this structural engineer manages to resolve this for the long term, bless him and his firm forever. Egads!

18 Likes

Couldn’t they just winch it to the neighboring buildings and pull it back upright? /s

6 Likes

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

11 Likes

They just need to arrange a coordinated excavation of all the sand under the building until the first floor itself is resting on bedrock. I understand there are giant sloths down in Brazil that do that kind of stuff cheap. Or feral hogs but maybe only if there’s snow involved. At any rate, the engineer’s kid must play Minecraft and surely has some ideas.

13 Likes

“Ron Hamburger” sounds like how Trump would misremember Ronald McDonald’s name, a la “Tim Apple”.

17 Likes

It would have been a quixotic gesture.

10 Likes

13 Likes

12 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like that will resolve itself.

Lettuce hope so.

12 Likes

Maybe the architect should take a clue from the two Russians and visit the world-famous Salisbury Cathedral. It’s got the tallest steeple of any place of worship in Britain, at 404ft, it’s been standing for nearly 800 years, and it’s build on alluvial sand, actually marshland, with virtually no significant foundations.
It’s also not standing on top of an active earthquake zone.
Although I’m sure that wouldn’t make any difference, those guys knew how to build structures for posterity! It took 38 years to build, has a total of 70,000 tons of stone, 3000 tons of timber, and 450 tons of lead, with another 6,397 tons added by the spire! *
They also didn’t have CAD systems to help, either, although I do wonder that having lots of computer aids might lead to a degree of complacency and over-confidence in architects and structural engineers.

• The spire did require additional supports and buttresses to stop it collapsing, it has to be said, a fate that befell a number of other similar buildings over the years.
6 Likes

The main thing he’s looking to resolve is making sure that taxpayers and not the HOA or developer will be on the hook for fixing this disaster.

5 Likes

Mr. Hamburger read your post and decided that the relevant bit is how little lead he initially used in the project. He thanks you for the suggestion.

4 Likes

Sounds like they applied a Hamburger press.

2 Likes

what? no mention of arches?

8 Likes