Ron Hamburger has a new plan to fix the leaning Millennium Tower

I think they’ll wind up having all the residents lean out windows and rub balloons on the side. The static charge should repel other buildings and the ground.

7 Likes

I suppose if they wait long enough the problem will solve itself.

And leave thousands of new and worse problems in its wake.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Anteater

Concrete Slab Lifting

7 Likes

It’s going to fall over.

1 Like

It is the strongest and most stable skyscraper to ever serve as president.

All it’s test results are positive.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to believe he will.

6 Likes

It’s not going to fall “over” in the sense that a tree or a drunkard tips over, because the physics for large, mostly-hollow buildings is very different than for most tall objects. Once the structure tilts past a certain point it won’t be able to take the forces and will collapse downward like a deck of cards (or the Twin Towers).

5 Likes

Oh, so this is some new slant of a joke to you. /s

8 Likes

Yup. I’m prone to jocularitiness.

5 Likes

Now, now. I’m sure we’re all level headed and upright people here.

8 Likes

That was on my bingo card for today.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Okay, then: it’ll merely fall down. :wink:

1 Like

Pretty much. A slightly less terrifying prospect for the occupants of whatever building(s) it’s leaning toward, but still bad news for everyone in the neighborhood.

5 Likes

Given you referenced the Twin Towers. You might want to think back a bit before you decide it’s less terrifying for nearby buildings.

2 other buildings collapsed, 3 others were irreparably damaged, and dozens more were damaged in some way. And there are still things getting repaired down there.

It’s an extreme example but there’s nothing neat or self contained about a building like that collapsing.

1 Like

Rather odd that a “debris field” study has not made its way into the media, yet…

5 Likes

I said slightly less terrifying. The nearby buildings were critically damaged but not immediately crushed, which is one reason why many of the occupants were able to evacuate those buildings in time.

5 Likes

I guess I don’t quite see how “the tidal wave of death, destruction, and cancer will be slightly less directional” is any less terrifying.

The towers themselves weren’t immediately crushed, and thousands evacuated safely. That other damaged buildings had far fewer deaths is down to those buildings being damaged by the collapse and spreading fire that went with it. So they a lot more time in an undamaged (or minimally damaged) building to evacuate. But so far as “immediate” goes, building 3 was basically cut in half by the collapse, around 40 people died there as it was being used as a staging ground by the FDNY.

When you get right down to it, the real difference here is that with a structural collapse you have a much better chance to know it’s coming. So you potentially have much more time to evacuate.

1 Like