SF's leaning Millennium Tower tilts even more

Originally published at: SF's leaning Millennium Tower tilts even more | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I have a bad feeling about this.

36 Likes

If I owned/lived/worked in the building(s) that this building is leaning toward, I would be unleashing hell at this point. Evacuating everyone, starting lawsuits, and checking up on the Millennium Tower insurance policy.

23 Likes

the tower’s chief spokes-engineer Ron Hamburger continues to keep the faith and has permission to dig more test holes.

I’m starting to wonder if this guy got his training in China or Russia.

12 Likes

CIty keeps letting him play “Fuck around and find out: skyscraper edition”

29 Likes

This product is sold by weight and not volume.

20 Likes

I hope everyone is safe, and that someone has a camera on that thing, full-time, to be able to play back the slo-mo topple that is bound to come.

16 Likes

The perfect metaphor for SF’s housing crisis.

13 Likes

I’m sure it’s not that bad…

JFC!!! Everybody run, NOW!

20 Likes

I expect property taxes will spike to finance the cleanup when this tower inevitably collapses.

3 Likes

Where exactly do they measure the lean difference? Like, for instance, if the base tilts 1/4" wouldn’t that translate into several inches or more at the top? I mean, I’d assume they’d measure from the top, yeah? Also any idea what they use? Some sort of inclinometer or something?

1 Like

Has anyone done any simulations of what will happen when this POS falls over? Because that is 100% what’s going to happen while these crooks & idiots all blame each other.

5 Likes

Top corner where the lean is most pronounced, I think. IIRC Ronald Hamburger has said the building can take a maximum of 29" lean and we are somewhere around 25" now?

6 Likes

I remember this scene. Why don’t they just launch without Matt Damon already?

14 Likes

This is one weird prequel to Poseidon Adventure.

5 Likes

Slowly at first, then all at once

10 Likes

Grady, at his Practical Engineering channel, provides a great overview as to what’s up. (Or soon to be down?)

11 Likes
4 Likes

Just tie it to the building next door with a rope. We did that with the bougainvillea and a tree out back, it’s fine.

22 Likes

Just link all the skyscrapers together with springs every other floor or so. Maybe randomize the spring constants to make it harder to achieve a natural harmonic in a wind and/or tremor situation.

/boingboing engineering with boingboings

11 Likes