Practical Engineering discusses my favorite looming disaster: San Francisco's sinking Millennium Tower

Originally published at: Practical Engineering discusses my favorite looming disaster: San Francisco's sinking Millennium Tower | Boing Boing

6 Likes

But there’s so many to choose from: the failure of American democracy, climate change, yellowstone super volcano, Weimar inflation, The Matrix 4. How do you pick?

12 Likes

I am clearly not burdened by your indecision.

11 Likes

At what point do city officials say, “Your building is unsafe and a danger to others. Tear it down. We don’t care if it bankrupts you, or where you get the money from, you’ve proven you cannot be trusted with building ownership.”

Because until that happens, this is just a death trap waiting to fall down at the first major earthquake, assuming it even lasts that long. Or confiscate it, tear it down, and turn it into a park, it’s what Eminent Domain is for, not for making parking lots and malls.
(Props to autocorrect for suggesting “Eminem Domain,” where I’d like to party sometime.)

9 Likes

There is also a very entertainingly named engineer involved on the building owner’s side of things

Are you perhaps referring to Ronald O. Hamburger, SE?
Does a resident of that fine German (Low Saxony) city, birthplace of Johannes Brahms, and purveyor of Aalsuppe (eel-soup), perhaps amuse you? Does it distinguish one to know you’d laugh all the louder just to know that the “O.” stands for Oliveloaf? i say Sir, harrumph and good-day Sir.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this the same high rise building that the original engineering firm submitted plans to the city and the city claimed that the support structure was too novel for them to have an opinion on?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.