San Francisco approves the latest Millenium Tower fix

Originally published at: San Francisco approves the latest Millenium Tower fix | Boing Boing

5 Likes

That the city bureaucracy continues to accept the word of Ronald Hamburger shows that they’re as much the thralls of the developer as he is.

11 Likes

JFC it’s gonna fall down. There is a 100% chance it’s gonna fall, and it’s gonna be catastrophic when it happens. And every one of the people pointing fingers right now will still be here when it happens - it’s not gonna be decades, it’s gonna be in less than 5 years. But none of them will do anything because they all want to protect themselves more than they want to protect the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) who will be injured or killed when it drops - not to mention the billions in damage.

Pointing fingers at others won’t make any of these idiots look less terrible when that happens.

13 Likes

The French gave us the statue of liberty. Seemed impossible at the time. What if the building is donated to a more suitable location? I am sure there is a host who would be tickled to put this falling spire on a firm foundation.

3 Likes

I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

8 Likes

8 Likes

Just demolish it already. It’s not safe stop trying to fix what can’t be fixed. Seriously, some folks are just foolish beyond any level of tolerance.

9 Likes

it’s certainly thinking outside the box. personally, i think they should hire this person instead

5 Likes

You have to wonder how the tenants can get insurance.

It probably will raise insurance rates in the drop zone. I wouldn’t buy or rent anywhere near it. Realtors should have to disclose if you’re in the drop zone.

9 Likes

This Fawlty tower really needs to go :neutral_face:

4 Likes

So, is anyone taking bets on when the tower inevitably collapses? Because if the city is wise (a long shot, I know), they would demolish the building. But since they’re not doing that, people around that tower might want to start clearing the area.

4 Likes

To me it seems like the kind of problem no one in the city is taking truly seriously, and no action to demolish it (which is the real solution) will happen until the tower collapses. I really wish it doesn’t suddenly collapse because i fear for what the loss of life would be

5 Likes

What if the building is donated to a more suitable location?

I’m feeling like both of these options are not physically feasible

4 Likes

Eh I don’t think it’s going to fall down, I think it’ll just keep slowly sinking at great expense to sidewalk and sewer repairs.

Disclaimer, I work a block away, but it’s tilting away from me

2 Likes

:notes:…party’s over and you don’t look so good.
You find your way back down,
And I’ll keep the area clear,
[Please clear the area]

3 Likes

This entire mess seems like a metaphor of some kind, but of what?

/s

4 Likes

hot potato party game GIF by evite

8 Likes

eb9c100e-20b2-4fd9-ad77-8dcac9f8e316_text

1 Like

While I was in SF I made sure to walk past it on a day out so I could say i had seen it before it fell…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.