Get up-to-date on San Francisco's sinking Millennium Tower in 8 minutes

Originally published at: Get up-to-date on San Francisco's sinking Millennium Tower in 8 minutes | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Do people still live in that future pile of concrete rubble?

8 Likes

18 Likes

Are you implying that Ronald Hamburger’s reassurances are not objective and grounded primarily in sound engineering principles?

7 Likes

Um, I got’a go now.

7 Likes

Nope. Can’t listen to that synthesized voice.
Better off reading the wikipedia entry: Millennium Tower (San Francisco) - Wikipedia

8 Likes

Agreed. It does sound a bit betterat 1.25x.

3 Likes

A colleague’s wife just completed a PhD in Civil Engineering at Berkeley and her adviser is scathing on another Berkeley professor who lent his name to the project’s original seismic review, calling it nothing short of malpractice.

I suspect a full deconstruction will be required, it will cost billions of dollars, and in the legal squabbling over who is responsible (clearly the original developers who cut corners on the foundation), the City’s taxpayers will still end up shafted anyway.

8 Likes

It’s not just that its wonky, it’s an incredibly anodyne box that would blend well into any medium-sized Midwestern city. I assume they employed architects, just ones with no imagination whatsoever.

1 Like

What’s the use of retrofitting the building it . Once they finish this let’s say they might have stop the tilting now they have to concentrate on repairing from top to bottom all floor,condos,elevator plumbing from within the structure itself and it will cost more maybe more than 500 billion because to to cracks the building itself could crumble from within. I suggests stop the repair from the bottom instead tear it down section by section from the top it is uninhabitable plus common sense if the repairs for instance is done at the bottom who’s paying attention about the cracks within the structure from the top and once the earthquake hits what do you think will crumble (the top with cracks already) and what would be left intact or tilted the bottom side…with all this said where does the crumbling tower will lean at … Wherever the building across it and it will cause other people’s lives, their work, other business property …then you(millennium tower) …are liable to other by businesses properties. I suggests to sever section by section so no damage to other human lives or other properties…like I said common sense while there is still time knock this tower down probably go and rebuild this tower to a more stable bedrock call millennium tower2 and turn this current into a park instead

So a park with a mere 30 story deconstructed, planted residency build and piers to bedrock for proofing in the next high-rise, or a park with a sick 5-deep bowl series that connects to the transit building for locals and a 130 story service offices (dem high ceilings) and forest-themed branching hamburger-themed slide plus fruit and fruit parfait pagoda (sponsored by Colodaaaaamn!) Vanille MacFrost, Chief Engineer. Umagahote Covfefe, Chief Designer. Impossisaladeshia Polydressings, Senior Realist.

3 Likes

Hey, promise a Zaha Hadid Associates as-built, get an accessorized box that goes wonky at stories 50-58.
It really does beggar PC case design, maybe they can strap on a mock PC watercooling radiator filled with hydrogen…and otherwise impressive RGB viewports.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.