Bad design and bad implementation are blamed for new problems rapidly tilting SF's Millenium Tower

Originally published at: Bad design and bad implementation are blamed for new problems rapidly tilting SF's Millenium Tower | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m no mechanical engineer, but I’m going with “dear god that’s terrifying!!!”

29 Likes

Not being an engineer is why you aren’t even more terrified.

24 Likes

Who need isis or the taliban to wreak havoc upon america when we have profiteers cutting corners where ever to make a buck?!!

11 Likes

Osama was a civil engineer, connect the dots. /s

11 Likes

If they end up demolishing it, it will probably be one of the most egg-faced builds in the modern era, in the US at least.

4 Likes

The building is fine, it’s the planet that’s swiftly tilting.

9 Likes

Dangerous skyscraper in NY was discovered by an engineering student, was recognized quickly and fixed:

10 Likes

Time to start up the dismantling crew. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

4 Likes

Gee, who knew rich luxury high rise condo developers who reject other people’s expertise could make bad decisions. Wikipedia tells me a guy who climbed it with suction cups was arrested. AFAIK, the police have not got around to arresting anyone responsible for endangering thousands of residents and the surrounding highly populated neighborhood, because a potentially collapsing skyscraper is nbd compared to the crime of trespassing.

4 Likes

So said numerous experts to the developers, but if those engineers were so smart they’d be rich like them, amirite?

6 Likes

tumblr_n75k50bzpk1suzl23o4_r1_250

6 Likes

Dystopia Mike Jude GIF by Idiocracy

5 Likes

Actually, that’s not true. You love to say “I told you so.” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

No Dude, I hate to say “I told you so”. Your making me tell you “I told you so”. I’m not enjoying “I told you so”…

6 Likes

This was in today’s paper. Not just luxury high-rise condos.

Brown is among many first-time homeowners who participated in a District program meant to spur property ownership, particularly among Black and low-income families. But she and nearly 30 others who live in the Talbert Street building — constructed in 2017 with city subsidies — may be forced to flee their homes Monday after an engineering firm determined the structure of the building was unsafe.

“We have folk on the property who are not just first-time home buyers, they’re first-generation home buyers, and the rest of their family is looking at this like, ‘Girl, I’m going to keep renting,’ ” May said. “Problems like this hurt our Black community … The District council, the mayor, everyone, they all should be ashamed of themselves.”

Maybe they can co after the develop— Oh.

Stanton View Developers filed for bankruptcy in March.

7 Likes

It’s been done.

came out in 2016.

8 Likes

Your point about unjust punishments is well taken, but it’s too soon to say what the consequences will be. The lawsuits and investigations need to run their course. Climbing the building is a criminal matter, but designing it poorly is a civil one (and those take a long time to resolve). The SWAT team won’t kick in the door of the engineer who signed off on it, but he may well lose his license and never work again. It sounds like the developer will be bankrupted as well because the cost of repairs exceeds their liability insurance, but of course the actual hedgebros who run those companies won’t see the insides of prison cells as they probably should.

6 Likes

Maybe we need a horrible example right now. ETA: One that didn’t kill anyone would be nice for a change.

5"… I’d hate to have to use a level to hang a picture in there at the top!

2 Likes