San Francisco's sinking, leaning Millennium Tower also sliding horizontally

Originally published at: San Francisco's sinking, leaning Millennium Tower also sliding horizontally | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Cat Is It Safe GIF

34 Likes

“the building is not at risk due to this movement, or any movement”

The surrounding buildings and people in the streets, on the other hand…

But it’s been established at this point that the only people Ronald Hamburger cares about are the developers whose pockets he’s in.

20 Likes

So Hamburger made a slider.

44 Likes

They should open a structural engineering school in it, if they ever get it fixed.

15 Likes

20 Likes

This thing is never ending, well, it will end when it falls I guess.

8 Likes

Watch out, financial district…

crimson-permanent-assurance

35 Likes

I suppose we should now begin taking bets on when the Millennium Tower is going to fall over.

3 Likes

We could set up one of those betting things where people buy dates in the future where they believe it’ll drop. 50% of the money goes to a non-resident victims fund and the rest “the winner”

17 Likes

On the one hand, having a news source mockingly quote someone saying “horizontal movement” instead of their more clickbait-friendly “sliding,” when either description is accurate, is annoying. On the other hand, it’s not like Mr. Hamburger has garnered himself a whole lot of credibility with the way this has shaken out. Or tilted out, I guess.

4 Likes

Thats how the cookie, or foundation, crumbles.

2 Likes

The shaking is yet to come…

1 Like

Sounds like a job for On the Record: Bets - Long Bets

Edit: Though long is probably relative in this case.

2 Likes

college-of-planning

28 Likes

Has the SF Building Department ever been got on record concerning their proximity to condemnation papers? How about the rental prices in the Millennium Tower vs time? (and while posing silly questions) How far can it sink/slide before pipes commence to rupture?

11 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced this is really a typo.

10 Likes

Ah, this explains why nobody in power is concerned that a literal skyscraper in the middle of a city is in danger of falling over. It’ll just gently slide over horizontally into some other buildings, which will keep it propped up! Problem solved forever.

11 Likes

The sliding motion will allow the earth to shake under it and prevent it from collapsing. It’s a feature not a bug!

5 Likes

I’m more curious as to how much sheer the building is exhibiting as it tilts. Think of it as a stack of pennies. As you tilt it, at first the whole stack will tilt, but then the pennies will start sliding. This will put more stress on the connections between the floors and the columns.

7 Likes