Ashley Madison looks like it was always a big sad scam

FTA:

My analysis had to be entirely based on the profiles themselves, not the credit card data. There is no such thing as a “paid account” for women because women don’t have to pay for anything on Ashley Madison. As a result, I couldn’t use “paid account” as a proxy for “real,” the way analysts have done with the male data.

I do wonder why men wouldn’t have set up free ‘female’ profiles for themselves though, rather than paying. Does the site prevent same-sex messaging?

And why did people subscribe for years (like Duggar apparently did), if there was nobody to even talk to?

2 Likes

I suspect if you look at dating sites real numbers, you’ll find a lot of this. Especially amongst the paid sites. I suspect that men are just more susceptible to this kind of behavior and men are easier to scam over all. The purpose of these sites isn’t to get people together, no matter what the ads say on TV… it’s to make money. If it was all just men everywhere, how would they make money?

1 Like

Selling an illusion. Entire industries are built on selling undiluted illusions.

4 Likes

Cuz they just use Craigslist? Or go to a bar?

2 Likes

Seems to be a desperation move to astroturf.

1 Like

I wish we could crosswire Bronymate with the Atlasphere.

2 Likes

I can’t believe the site is still up with some phony “Trusted Security Award” and 100% Discreet Service badge.

5 Likes

I take back my scumbag comment in previous AM post - this was genius!!! Preying on wannabe scumbags, just wow, why I never suspected … But agreed I figured the guys story about the 60+ hookups was so Penthouse letters, it was all bogus :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make that one thousand, four-hundred and ninety-two very busy women.

5 Likes

That’ll come in handy as a mnemonic device for helping to remember the year Columbus discovered America.

5 Likes

Evolutionarily speaking, females of most species have always been choosier about who they mate with than males. It’s a big biological commitment to carry, deliver, nurse and raise an offspring. Sperm is cheap. (YMMV, “not all women/men,” etc.)

2 Likes

In fourteen-hundred-and-ninety-two, Columbus’s balls were pretty blue (because the guy-to-girl ratio was over thirteen thousand to one).

9 Likes

Also, they don’t need to pay money to get on a site to look for men. They can just make pouty posts on Facebook and people find attention.

2 Likes

You’re probably right, but Facebook seems like the dumbest possible way to carry on a discreet affair.

1 Like

Noted security expert and possible lunatic claims it was an inside job. Which makes it a whistle blower situation, sort of…maybe?

1 Like

At least something was getting blown.

3 Likes

Ain’t nobody on that site looking to “mate” - ew.

Yeah, I know people that have done this. Its truly bizarre. And yes, they got caught. One marriage survived, though the guilty party isn’t allowed on FB anymore, one did not. People are weird.

3 Likes

Fine, “bump uglies with” then.

3 Likes

Well where do you think the little bots come from.

4 Likes

Well you do it off face book, but I know people where that is where stuff began. People seeking attention, people getting attention, and then it moves to phone texts and then past that maybe.