Ashley Madison looks like it was always a big sad scam

Sorry, I tried to embed that clip but it’s like 5am here and I’m border line incompetent.

1 Like

But also readily exploitable!

1 Like

Years ago, when I was still single, I used a bunch of different dating sites. They had very different sorts of memberships. OKCupid worked best for me, and there were certainly a fair number of women who used it, though I’m not certain of the gender ratio.

Men and women definitely had very different experiences of it. My partner, who I met through OKCupid, kept getting men hitting on her who had lied when answering questions about their personalities, in order to have profiles that were more likely to match women. These were questions about beliefs, personality traits, and so on – the sort of thing that lying about would just lead to awful relationships, if it worked at all.

1 Like

This sounds like a setup for a new existentialist dating service!

1 Like

Obligatory xkcd:

Alt: Which is, coincidentally, the most unsettling mantlepiece decoration in my house.

7 Likes

Yup. I know someone did some techie work for a stable of them, running the gamut from ‘nice’ dating sites to AM style and even a swinger site. Apparently not only did they (and probably all their competitors) use bots, but shared the entire database across all the sites, so vanilla daters got inundated with messages from the more outre users. Sleazy as fuck.

1 Like

Brilliant!

Thanks for posting. Seems necessary here!

1 Like

NP–usually the autobot video transmogrifier works just fine if you post a link straight into the comment box…maybe try the “upload” button next? Either way, your link worked as advertised, it just wasn’t as pretty as the system could make it.

I met my partner on Lavalife oh some 11 years ago. And it seemed to me at the time that there were a lot more men than women on there. It could be overwhelming the amount of attention you could get, so I just ignored them all. LOL - so yeah, totally different experience.

1 Like

Considering how quickly a regular dating site account can become filled with other women’s creepy husbands, I can imagine it didn’t make for very enticing prospects even for women who wanted to cheat.

As for prostitutes, they seem to have no trouble making use of things like Craigslist already so why pay for a service?

Slightly more safety, different customer base than CL, customers there already prepped to spend money on their extramarital affairs.

Besides, aren’t the womens’ accounts free?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.