Asking GPT-4 to quickly build a lucrative business on a $100 Investment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/03/16/asking-gpt-4-to-quickly-build-a-lucrative-business-on-a-100-investment.html

3 Likes

So it looks like it’s doing what you’d expect from ChatGPT - telling him to do several different contradictory things, each of which cost significantly more than $100 to get started on, with no actual plan. So about as clueless as a lot of hustle culture advocates, really.

17 Likes

It’s at least an interesting diversion from the hellscape of chatbots and art reproduction scammers destroying creator industries. Maybe they can have it play the stock market and see how that goes.

4 Likes

I can’t decide if I want to pay up to access GPT-4 to find out if it is still as clueless as ChatGPT at my own particular interest. I write cryptic crossword puzzles, and I have been enjoying asking the various iterations of the engine over the past few years to try to write cryptic clues for me.
The reason I am interested is that a cryptic crossword clue is a pure distillation of understanding language and conciseness, but constrained by very particular rules (and a key part of the trick is knowing when and how you can bend those rules.)
Up to this point, it has been hilarious, disastrously wrong. I mean, the basic output is a coherent idea, but the actual mechanical structure is meaningless, the ‘understanding’ is nowhere, and when I ask it to explain itself, it just offers me another wildly wrong attempt instead. I concede that it has got better, and ChatGPT at least gives me something that looks a bit like a crossword clue on the surface but it doesn’t fundamentally work as an actual clue.
And my guess is that this is a field in which even having a large pool of data to draw from may be insufficient, since there is still only a small range of ‘explanatory’ material, and good clues draw upon ever wider reserves of references, multiple word meanings, tricks and so on. And individual puzzles often have their own quirks too. Even as a tool, I am not convinced that it is going to be of much help.
On the other hand, cryptic crosswords is a small niche within a small niche and it doesn’t make anyone rich, so there’s not a huge incentive for ‘disruption’ here.

3 Likes

A mindless hustler that will never stop? Mike Lindell is in trouble.

6 Likes

If it’s anywhere near as accurate as World Cup Octopus was at picking winners, all the stockbrokers can be fired, so there’s that.

3 Likes

FWIW, I think they’ve squashed this ability. At least, I am not able to get similar answers, just a list of general possibilities. Probably for the best.

The AI, soon:

4 Likes

Me: “ChatGPT, teach me how to draw an owl”

ChatGPT:

1 Like

Yes he is, but he did that on his own, without an AI competing.

1 Like

Was it GPT’s idea to post about it for the free advertising or its human counterpart’s?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.