14 Likes

[Apsic [ sic ] is back for the ’20s dinner party]

10 Likes

Still gross. Not a huge fan of jello to begin with, just give me the damn fruit

6 Likes

Fruit’s okay, hold the larks’ tongues.

20 Likes

I knew it. I knew it I knew it.

I knew that stuff was going to make a comeback sooner or later.

Doge save us…

5 Likes

Headline is misspelled……

2 Likes

In Russia it never went away!

5 Likes

was the speling intentional?

4 Likes

Wait, there’s cake in there?

Gimme.

(The YouTube example uses fruit gelatin, not aspic.)

6 Likes

that recipe in the video looks really tasty.

my wife and i are going to try making it.

btw, i had a friend in college who was getting his mfa in painting but had gotten a certification from the cordon bleu cooking school and had worked his way through college as a chef (this was in the late 70s when college was an inflation-adjusted 20 times cheaper than it is now). one year on october 25th (picasso’s birthday) he did a “cubist dinner” which featured a cold rare roast beef surrounded by a cubistic fantasia of aspic shapes.

15 Likes

Aspics were big in the 1960s as well, and came back in the 1980s, especially in France. Julia Child’s book has a whole section on them, one of the things that charmingly dates it.

11 Likes

I have not read this book, but the interview with the authors was interesting a while back… I seem to remember them discussing how gelatin was seen as a wonder food…

Anyways, everything has a history… carry on!

17 Likes

594c483d1ac68_ITCrowds2e3.gif.c1dbcacba53451150bf4c4d2c6661173

5 Likes

23 Likes

A quick check of Wikipedia shows that gelatin dishes are part of many cuisines worldwide. Few cultures could afford the luxury of throwing out perfectly good pig trotters and snouts.

Fun fact: Melton Mowbray pork pies, which contain gelatin, had Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) under EU rules. Anything else is just pork in Jello. Brexit may have killed that.

17 Likes

Psst, @beschizza

It’s “aspic”!

7 Likes

Like the monster in a horror movie, meals made with cow hooves just won’t go away:

https://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knox/index.html

3 Likes

Maybe the first dessert I’ve encountered that I’d rather look at than eat! Looks very cool but I can’t imagine biting into a forkful of that stuff.

Also, nice Zwilling cameo.

Aspic seals out air and is a decent preservative that does not alter flavor much, in pre-refrigeration times. Like confit, which is similar but uses fat instead. Smoking, salting and pickling change the flavor a lot.
Packet gelatin was a modern wonder food because you could serve your bridge club a jellied salad without boiling the hooves yourself- it was aping the upper-class hotel/restaurant foods of the previous generation.

21 Likes