Assange weasels out of pledge to surrender if Manning received clemency

I thought I remembered him saying “If Manning was pardoned”, but I can’t be sure.

It’s good to keep in mind that US hasn’t charged him with a crime (even Sweden hasn’t charged him yet). That has only occurred in Assange’s imagination.

4 Likes

That’s my point, the terms seem to be interchangeable, especially when taking into consideration the different applied usage throughout different countries. Assange seems to maintain that Manning committed no crime. Are we really going to nit pick his usage of how we understand the terminology he used?

Are you conflating Assange with Manning?

Assange has received no clemency.

5 Likes

Delusional paranoiac. Why do we even listen to this guy?

1 Like

Do we know what phrase Assange actually used?

1 Like

That someone used on his behalf.

Ambiguity is the Devil’s volleyball.

Personally I’d go with “shockingly dishonest.” At this point I try not to listen to him, FWIW.

3 Likes

At least he’s imaginative.

1 Like

Whatever it needs to mean to let him avoid arrest in Sweden while still appearing to maintain the high ground.

4 Likes

It must be hard to walk something back in that small space.

1 Like

Hang him high.

1 Like

If he’s tried and found guilty in Sweden, I’d want to see him serve justice for it. Rape’s not a capital crime in Sweden, though, AFAIK.

2 Likes

And then sent to the USA.

He seems to be jumping to the conclusion that he would be sent to the USA.

1 Like

Apparently, the sentence would have been 4 years. And Swedish jails aren’t like their horrific US counterparts, either. Meanwhile, Assange has been holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy since 2012.

4 Likes

Reading up.

Assange v Swedish Prosecution Authority - Wikipedia

The offer followed one made via Assange’s attorney in September 2016 that an extradition waiver would be made conditional on a pardon for Manning.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/15/politics/julian-assange-wikileaks-chelsea-manning/

Assange attorney Barry Pollack told CNN Thursday the deal would have to include a pardon for Manning,

Looks like the terms are used (incorrectly) interchangeably.

2 Likes

It’s almost as if he’s taking these extraordinary measures because of some kind of… principle?

The principle of not wanting to be jailed in the US like Manning?

Before Assange appeared to selectively leak to help Trump win the election over Hillary Clinton, I think I might have found the idea that Assange is taking a principled stance more persuasive.

1 Like