Assange weasels out of pledge to surrender if Manning received clemency

I did say ‘some kind’. I might have meant ‘bad’ or ‘wrong’.

ETA:

Can I suggest that his actions, to date, seem to stem only from his application of principle?

1 Like

He is definitely inserting that conclusion into this thinking. There is a chance he’s right, though it reeks of bullshit to dodge rape charges since the US could have just charged him and worked with Sweden/wherever to immediately extradite him. Kind of sounds like a really weak excuse to avoid rape charges.

2 Likes

Unless I completely misread the post I was responding to, no.

1 Like

Can’t it be both? Given unprecedented excesses the Obama administration has gone to capture and prosecute leakers and whistle blowers, and that that Manning got a 35 year sentence, and the US ordered a the president of Bolivia’s plane while it was flying over Europe to be grounded in Austria to try to get to Snowden, the idea that Assange would be targeted is entirely plausible. As are the rape charges.

2 Likes

agree with all the other posters…

not a surprise in the least. Though I am surprised Drumpf hasn’t tried to grab him yet.

Assange doesn’t have a pussy.

4 Likes

Given that the US could order that plane diverted and has massive diplomatic sway around the globe they could’ve just charged him and extradited him and had much cooperation. The multiple rape charges don’t fit into the picture without a lot of added paranoid fantasy layers.

1 Like

Strategically, though, it makes sense for them to keep such charges secret or unfilled so people can make the exact same argument you are making, to encourage Assange to face charges in Sweden.

1 Like

The charges in Sweden themselves make no sense strategically is my point. They could have just as easily nailed him without the rape business.

1 Like

Even if the justice system to which he would surrender himself refuses to state that they would not extradite him?

Could be character assassination.

I’d like to see him return to Sweden with assurance that no extradition would occur. But maybe the Air Force could just force any transport to land and grab him anyway?

It’s conspiracy theories all the way down.

1 Like

Oh. Well. That’s the conversation over.

Conspiracy has been invoked.

Wiki-conspiritard that I am.

We all know it’s an unreliable source.

1 Like

4 Likes

Ah, got it.

The Eva Morales grounding incident is what it is but it’s not evidence. I have yet to see or hear of evidence because at this point there isn’t any. There are the stories we invent in the lack of evidence, and for those I prefer ones that don’t involve conspiracies, so yeah, there’s not much to say.

That’s just what they want you to believe!

1 Like

did you see the tweet that @nemomen linked to above? Clemency.

2 Likes

Clemency. That does complicate the issue.

He used vague language to be able to weasel out of it. I’m sure he was well aware Manning wouldn’t get a full pardon.

And so far (as long as we know) he hasn’t been charged here. There could indeed be secret charges, but we don’t know that and neither does Assange.

6 Likes

Agreed.