Assassin's Creed Mirage shows off first look at gameplay, gives release date

Originally published at: Assassin's Creed Mirage shows off first look at gameplay, gives release date | Boing Boing

Narrated by Shohreh Aghdashloo? Nice, I’d know her voice anywhere. Looks good. Never played one of these in the past, might check it out after its dropped and we know if it’s laced with micro-transactions or not.

4 Likes

Hopefully Ubisoft is consulting with and supporting humanities departments at various universities or at least employing grads. Somebody needs to. It would also be awesome if they made their modelled cities available for academic use after a period, assuming they really are historically accurate.

1 Like

They’re not. This was actually discussed after the Notre Dame fire, when the idea that the model built for AC Unity could be used for reconstruction was bandied about. Turns out that game designers build things to look good and to work in game, they’re not trying to be 100% accurate. Ubisoft was neither asked for their data, nor would it have helped, although to their credit they did donate to the reconstruction fund. There are however several 3D scans of the cathedral by academic projects, which are being used in the rebuilding efforts.

The excellent Simone de Rochefort has written an equally excellent article on the topic for Polygon.

3 Likes

That was a really great read, thanks! In a roundabout way, Assasins Creed did lead me to learn some history…

2 Likes

Odyssey is an amazing game that I was able to enjoy without having to even consider microtransactions. It may not be 100% accurate, but I definitely have a better understanding of the geography of Greece and the Peloponnesian War after playing the game. My kids also really enjoyed exploring ancient Greece in the “historical” mode.
Also, the music in Odyssey is fantastic and really added to the game.

5 Likes

putting the emphasis back on stealth and trickery

I really wish they could update Thief to today’s graphic standards.

2 Likes

Was the relatively recent one of the same title not any good?

1 Like

Oh, geez. That slid right under my radar, especially after I had bought the update pack for 32-bit computers back in 2013.

1 Like

I know, right? I was already hooked, having played the early titles, but when I heard her voice my excitement tripled.

3 Likes

Assassins Creed: Black Flag let’s you play as a pirate, hassling Redcoats and sugar plantation owners, so you can feel good about the slash n’ stab. Shanties when you’re at sea, too, and your lads cheer every time you get on your ship. Yaar!

4 Likes

there’s also like 15 minutes of running through an empty jungle following a glowing dot on a minimap right at the start of the game. i probably should have tried harder, but i never got to any of the cool stuff. ( i think i also had gotten a used copy of spiderman at the same time, and never looked back. )

1 Like

Honestly, it gets fun right after that, with lots of pirate-y adventures, but yeah, when AC games are annoying they are annoying.

1 Like

okay, that’s good to know. i’ll have to give it another go… after zelda :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.