For 13 years, this photographer has been building an incredible 3D digital model of Athens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/14/for-13-years-this-photographe.html

5 Likes

Or you can play Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and wreak havoc in Ancient Greece. It is a very pretty game with some good attention to detail on the buildings.

5 Likes

Not to mention the great Greek sea shanties sung by your all girl crew.

2 Likes

If this interested you then it’s likely that this recreation of Rome will too: https://www.romereborn.org/

5 Likes

This is an interesting visualization, but it’s a shame he has not collaborated with someone who could do some more insightful commentary & voiceover. The digital narration is a big detraction IMHO.

2 Likes

Yeah, I almost wish I didn’t have an absolute rule against watching videos with text-to-speech narration.

(And no, I don’t have any problem with people who aren’t able to speak. Subtitles are fine).

3 Likes

I was ready to be seriously impressed that someone had recreated all of ancient Athens, but it looks like pretty much just the Acropolis, a few other major buildings and with a scattering of cubes representing the rest of the city. Still, if the featured buildings show the historic variations, it’s still quite useful.

And that would be far more extensive (albeit still smaller than the real thing) and far, far more detailed than this. The benefits of having a AAA game studio to work on it, vs. one guy.

The apparently used a lot of interesting procedural generation to fill in the various residential buildings based on extrapolating from foundation and block shapes.

Also: Virtual Rome -

I was expecting this project to be of a similar scale to the various Rome reconstruction projects I’ve seen, but it obviously isn’t even remotely.

It took me far too long to figure out why the narration was so weirdly garbled and incomprehensible.

this documentary opens the door of how the greeks made such incredible discoveries in technique when building the parthenon

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.