Astonishing close-up image of Jupiter taken by Juno last month

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/09/astonishing-close-up-photo-of.html

6 Likes

“Astonishing” is somehow just not fitting to describe that planet. Wow.

Just wow.

11 Likes

To those of us that grew up with fuzzy images from Earth-bound telescopes where the only feature visible was the “great red spot” and a few stripes, these are truly amazing.

13 Likes

For those like me who were not all up on the various zones of Jupiter:

belts_zones_disc

IIRC, zones and belts circulate in opposite directions so you have massive swirly storm systems where they meet.

10 Likes

Uhh… i saw the picture for the corner of my eye and that looked very… uhh… Yonic.

Not that i have a problem with that, i was just confused for a second when i wasn’t paying attention.

6 Likes

It somehow reminds me of the Sistine Chapel. Maybe the color palette. Either way, very pretty.

1 Like

“My god! It is full of clouds!”

13 Likes

Look like something Giger would paint.

3 Likes

Van Gogh?

2 Likes

Personally, I consider Jupiter an enemy planet.

1 Like

What about Uranus?

3 Likes

You mean George…{what? they went with Uranus? Really?? What dicks!!!}

Still waiting for Juno’s selfie.

To me it looks like something by Edvard Munch, but without people.

1 Like

Still not more of an overheated gas-bag than Trump.

1 Like

Screw Mars - this is what we should be colonizing.

Would you rather live in a bubble stuck to a freeze-dried monochrome lump, or floating around inside all of this?!

1 Like

Trippy.

There’s the small problem of deadly radiation, Juno is built like a tank to deal with it.

1 Like

I honestly can’t think of any problem associated with living in a floating bubble in a turbulent gas giant that isn’t insurmountably huge. At least with our current tech.

1 Like

Probably yes. I’d start with one of the moons myself. The view alone is worth it.

2 Likes