'Astonishing' giant circle of pits found at Stonehenge

Outhouses for all the damned hippies?

4 Likes

to be fair, all they were given was a cocktail napkin with some notes scribbled by a musician.

7 Likes

The imperial vs metric hassle is older than I thought!

6 Likes

Well, Durrington Walls was where people gathered for feasting and celebrating, so I reckon these pits were where all the debris and detritus was dumped; I mean, has anyone seen the amount of trash left after a major festival like Glastonbury?
But I could be wrong…

4 Likes

Any word from Quatermass yet?

2 Likes

While the pits would have been impressive in their day, its been pointed out to me that the Egyptians were building pyramids around the same time.

2 Likes

Vern had been trying to find those pennies for nine months.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Though it has to be said they were a much older civilisation and much more populous.

People are clever and ingenious and hard working and want a better life for themselves everywhere. The places that are wealthier and more advanced at one time or another are beneficiaries of particular advantages, I’m wary of believing they are intrinsically smarter or something. When Europeans invaded the americas they took the weight of African and Asian history and science with them, the Americas were younger and more isolated from cultural exchange (and sadly, diseasees over millenia rather than all at once, particularly those that jumped from domesticated animals they lacked).

3 Likes

Yes, I am a Jew; and while the ancestors of the right honourable gentleman were brutal savages in an unknown island, mine were priests in the temple of Solomon.

— Benjamin Disraeli responding to antisemitic taunts in the House of Commons.

5 Likes

There’s also the thing that we celebrate and record some histories and achievements more than others. Some of this is pure accident, some stuff survives and other stuff doesn’t. But some of this is racism and bias and in particular it effects the great achievements of sub saharan African civilisations and technology e.g. Sudan.

3 Likes

Probably a portal to the 18th century, inexplicably filled with dreamy scotsmen.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.