'Astonishing' giant circle of pits found at Stonehenge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/astonishing-giant-circle-o.html

4 Likes

Let’s get this out of the way:

Bolt - Aliens 2

20 Likes

Ah - so maybe that’s where the demons dwell and the banshee lives?

15 Likes

Dents left by the legs of the flying saucer.

7 Likes

They’re the remains of an earlier attempt to build a stone circle. The builders made a mistake and made it 12 times bigger than was originally intended.

17 Likes

That’s what you get converting your plans from one CAD system to another when each one uses its own interpretation of the DXF “standard”.

14 Likes

20 Likes

Wanted for questioning.

10 Likes

The woodhenge prototype?

8 Likes

And the straw henge left no trace at all, due to a bronze-age big bad wolf we can only surmise

17 Likes

A re-re-make of Quatermass and the Pit is overdue anyway. (In Supermarionation for choice)

4 Likes

They obviously didn’t “measure twice and cut once”.

5 Likes

Given that it was intended to mark the summer solstice, the ice henge was particularly ill-conceived.

11 Likes

That one took a sec to sink in. I guess Gary Larsen in alive and well then.

3 Likes

That’s totally like my hinge henge that keeps closing on itself

5 Likes

You want to go down a wikipedia hole? Check out this giant pit…

1 Like

ok…what is different here from what is already known about “Superhenge”? This from 2016:

So they excavated in 2016 and found holes. Now they used ground-penetrating radar and found…holes? Just like they already thought were there? Not exactly astonishing.

5 Likes

Eventually they’ll figure out that the whole thing was part of an ancient Burning Man site.

1 Like

I’m going to speculate that Sarah Winchester had an ancestor who lived in this area and was really wealthy. (Their fortune was from inventing the Leaf-Shaped Flint knives and arrowheads.)

1 Like

Archeology: it’s the pits.

8 Likes