Asus takes over Intel's NUC product line

Originally published at: Asus takes over Intel's NUC product line | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Not the word I’d have rhymed it with, but I’m a giant 12-year-old on occasion.

10 Likes

Asus has already issued its first major ex cathedra pronouncement: NUC rhymes with “luck,” not “nuke.”

so…

seriously, this is very interesting news. (did you know that NUC stood for “next unit of computing”? i didn’t. (thought it was more like a little thing as in ‘nucleus’))

10 Likes

giphy-3682597183

4 Likes

This makes me wonder how much co-manufacturing already exists between Asus and Intel prior to this deal.

Namely, are they going to use the existing physical assembly line and plant, with a change in BIOS copyrights, product labeling, and package graphics only?

2 Likes

I just got a nuc enthusiast (compact desktop with real graphics card) so I fully expect the entire line to become useless to me within the calendar year. Once again I suspect I’m part of some harbinger demographic that spells doom for all the products I prefer.

4 Likes

I dunno - this form factor is quite appealing.

If the techno gods can find some way to address some of the thermal issues - I think most consoles and PCs will get smaller to a point NUCs will seem prophetic.

Until then - this is firmly in niche computing territory.

Boo!

As the…delighted…administrator of some conference room systems where Crestron decided to use NUCs to run the Teams stuff; I can confirm that the current NUC thermal ‘solution’ is “fan noise”.

I’m not expecting big fuck-off ATX cases and 4Us to make a triumphant return to client computing; but it’s hard to shake the suspicion that the NUC 4x4 size is driven more by a desire to be smaller than a mac mini(just airbrush the power brick out of the press shots…) rather than meaningful space savings or increases in VESA mountability between the two sizes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.