At Eternity's Gate looks so good it'll make you want to cut your own ear off

Schnabel also directed “Basquiat” so it might very well fall into that category of mythologizing of the tragic artist. But at the same time, he’s an important and well regarded painter in his own right, so he could bring a different insight into Van Gogh’s life as well.

1 Like

Apparently there are no confirmed photographs of him as an adult.

3 Likes

Could well be - you never know if the trailer just picked the most cringy lines and made it look like the whole movie is like that, or if the movie is more thoughtful and sedate and reflective. But I’m definitely waiting for the reviews on this one.

1 Like

If he’s a method actor I can see how constant interaction with fawning fans could take him out of “social and professional outcast who was only recognized for his genius in death.”

4 Likes

And I thought Ed Harris was pushing the envelope when he portrayed Jackson Pollock over a 15-year span of the artist’s career (Harris was 50, Pollock died at age 44). Harris did a fantastic job in the role though.

4 Likes

Having spent a significant amount of my life traveling for work I can empathize. And I’m certainly no Willem Defoe.

4 Likes

:joy::rofl::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Lionel Twain: How do I look so young? Quite simple. A complete vegetable diet, twelve hours sleep a night, and lots and lots of makeup.

2 Likes

I was an extra on the set of the second season of American Crime. Yes, the principal actors do need their space, and time to get their shit together.

I spent 3 hours watching Felicity Huffman shoot and reshoot a rehearsed speech for the camera at multiple angles near the end of the day, which put us dangerously close to double overtime. Everybody badly wanted to go home, and we knew we were all there for her. I’m pretty sure she was ready for a drink by day’s end.

P.S. I was at arm’s length from both Timothy Hutton and Andre Benjamin, and my god resisting the temptation to say something is horrible.

6 Likes

What happens if you do bother the actors? I assume that you become part of tomorrow’s catering spread?

5 Likes

IIRC, you are asked to leave the set, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the extras casting company didn’t call you for future work.

5 Likes

Apropos! From my RSS feed this evening:

Basic Instructions

9 Likes

Hannah Gadsby in “Nannette”:
*People believe that Van Gogh was just this misunderstood genius, born ahead of his time. What a load of shit. Nobody is born ahead of their time! It’s impossible. Maybe premie babies, but they catch up. Artists don’t invent zeitgeists, they respond to it….
[Van Gogh] was not ahead of his time. He was a post-Impressionist painter painting at the peak of post-Impressionism.

He had unstable energy, people crossed the street to avoid him. That’s why he didn’t sell any more than one painting in his lifetime.

This romanticizing of mental illness is ridiculous. It is not a ticket to genius. It’s a ticket to nowhere.*

4 Likes

(That being said, I adore Defoe and will see the movie.) Even tho i cant spell his name correctly without lookin…

2 Likes

I know what you mean. I was just a few feet away from Owen Wilson on set as an extra for several days, and most of that time he was just walking around alone, practicing his lines. At one point he walked right up to me, looked me right in the eyes intently, then just walked away. It was really tough not to say something after that.

5 Likes

I worked with Willem on a film and can say he was one of the most generous and open actors I have met. He would sit down with bit players and extras and answer questions and give tips. He was very approachable. A hotel giving instructions like that to employees sounds like standard instructions any production company would probably request to insure an actors privacy.

9 Likes

What you need is apparently called an “eyewear retention system”:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philonext-Sunglass-Universal-Retainer-Retention/dp/B01LY52RY1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536757155&sr=8-4&keywords=glasses+strap

There’s nothing like calling a spade a manual entrenching tool.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.