At Eternity's Gate looks so good it'll make you want to cut your own ear off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/11/at-eternitys-gate-looks-so-g.html

7 Likes

Working around self important actors has to be a challenge. Hopefully it pays well. Burt Reynolds even said that if you had met him in the 70’s he was sorry.

2 Likes

gross

nah

4 Likes

Van Gogh?

Dafoe?

Let’s go!

4 Likes

“Willam Dafoe! I loved you in ! Say, I have this really cool idea for a movie. It involves a retired hitman who…”

“Willam Dafoe! I loved you in [Y]! Say, I have this really cool idea for a movie. It involves a retired hitman who…”

“Willam Dafoe! I loved you in [Z]! Say, I have this really cool idea for a movie. It involves a retired hitman who…”

Yeah, no. I have complete sympathy for that.

22 Likes

All of the employees at the lodge where he’ll be staying have been instructed to only speak to him if he talks to them first. Gross.

Why? I don’t think it is a problem. A problem is mysoginism, sexism, harassment, etc. Asking for privacy it’s so benign that to complain about it seems more of a childish thing to me.

12 Likes

If he’s one of those people who needs to get his head into the part completely, and a distraction would be bad… Hmm, maybe. It would depend on how he otherwise treats people. Could be weirder.

(Radar Online is a horrible rumor source, but this one isn’t over the top.)

8 Likes

What if one has already cut off both ears due to past movie releases? I’m asking for a friend.

4 Likes

A. I’m in no danger of being subjected to this.

B. He must have really liked the view.

4 Likes

Note: Van Gogh died at 37. Dafoe is 63.

11 Likes

That’s a rough 37?

10 Likes

But if I cut off my ear how will my glasses stay on? I got shitty vision and I’m not a pince-nez guy.

3 Likes

This is a hard “maybe” for me - I’m more than a little concerned by how much it’s romanticizing the mental health problems associated with some creative types, as well as the just… Massively over-the-top language of “OMG I’M SO FSCKING CREATIVE HOLY BALLS I’M JUST SO AWESOME!!!11!!”.

Christ, if I wanted to see Vincent’s corpse jerked off that hard, I’d just buy a shovel and some KY.

3 Likes

Agreed. It is entirely reasonable to ask for privacy from the staff. I would do the same if I was manager. My daughter’s friend’s mom is very famous and recently while they were all out having pizza they saw another very famous actor. She told the girls not to approach her or stare. Of course, two of the girls did anyway when she was in the restroom. Being famous isn’t normal and requires an abnormal level of self-preservation. Some people are just attention whores and seem to invite the attention, but most are just normal people who chose a career that makes people feel an intimate connection that just isn’t there.

7 Likes

Most likely Aquaman.

As for this movie, he may be twice Vincent’s age, but he looks fantastic in the role.

2 Likes

Yup. I had the lead in a show and I had a cast member who was obsessed with talking to me before the show, continuously. (I’m not even remotely famous.) I eventually had to ask the director to announce a similar rule just so I had an opportunity to go over my lines in peace.

4 Likes

I suppose that’s ‘method acting’ weirdness.

Be a Suzuki actor, less likely to make you insane*. :slight_smile:

*Not actual advice, I don’t know what I’m talking about.

1 Like

Yes. Society demands celebrities, and being one is quite far from normal, healthy relations with the people around you. So, if one asks to be left alone, to be able to work (or live!) in relative normality, that’s in my opinion really not the point where the grossness starts.

5 Likes

The tortured soul knows no rest.

3 Likes

I was about to say the casting is great for both Van Gogh and Gauguin. Movies take a lot of liberties with history in order to tell a good story. Dafoe looks pretty good for 63, and we mainly know Van Gogh from his self-portraits, which are hardly photographic.

4 Likes