AT&T can't quite apologize for its tasteless 9/11 advertisement

[quote=“Kimmo, post:59, topic:9493”]
Anybody who’d jump to the conclusion that either of those two are tasteless clearly hasn’t stopped to grasp the point of the ad first, IMO. It’s not inherently tasteless to alert people to the fact that the number of lives claimed by the WTC incident is negligible in comparison to everyday risks…[/quote]
I think you and I simply have differing opinions on what is or is not “tasteful.” Just because a statement or comparison is accurate doesn’t mean it’s appropriate. I could walk around maternity wards telling all the parents that their newborn children might be dead tomorrow, but I’d be rightly scorned for doing so.

1 Like

A better analogy would be if new moms were all freaking out over a couple of high-profile baby deaths due to faulty car seats, and you told them that thousands more babies die of SIDS, so make sure baby sleeps on his back and keep blankets out of the crib.

1 Like

And how well do you suppose an advertisement that trivialized a couple of those high-profile baby deaths would go over with the parents of the dead kids?

1 Like

The ones in question aren’t ads, they’re PSAs about smoking and the widespread lack of access to clean water. I agree that using the image to advertise a product or even build brand awareness/identity (AT&T Cares!) is fucked up.

sigh Marriott headquarters is just outside of DC, which means they really should know better.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.