AT&T can't quite apologize for its tasteless 9/11 advertisement

Tru dat. This Guy has sold a fuckton of fireworks…

“Never forget” means never even think to examine your own roll in what happened. “Never forget” means blindly accept that the USA is victim #1.
“Never forget” means “Never recall, never realize, never take responsibility.”

3 Likes

AT&T means “never forget” in regards to all our communications they help the NSA store indefinitely.

2 Likes

I received this link in my inbox a few years back… anyone care to translate?

Say what you want about AT&T, but this actually seems quite tasteful. I can’t even tell what kind of phone that is so it’s not selling anything to me. Not sure what the uproar is over.

Remember the Alamo!

Today on BoingBoing: Anticonsumerism! Brought to you by Ford and American Apparel.

2 Likes

I think you’re right that “Never Forget” was used first for the Holocaust. But the sentiment is older, I can think of “Remember the Alamo” and “Remember the Maine” off of the top of my head.

So, considering how many people with camera-phones like taking photos of Everything, how is this wrong? I read the ad as saying “take a picture of this remembrance event, and use our phone to do it.” Should people Not take a photo? Should the link between taking a photo and using this phone be less direct?

Universal 50% price cut
Surprise attack (one day only)
(Shopping guide) Final red wine retailer’s windfall.

Not a very elegant translation, but you get the idea.

3 Likes

Both of which were used to stir the populace up into a warlike mood.

1 Like

Ha well put.

Add me to the list of people who don’t see the problem here. I find it downright weird how we never see the Twin Towers even in pictures any longer. The weirdest was when they edited them out of the Spider Man movie. People.

Oh, there were plenty of sappy of 911 comics back then. Marvel had even Doctor Doom weeping because if the attack.

Point ist, while it was a horrific act with an astonishingly high visibility due to the scale and many cameras around, its cultural and emotional impact is mostly limited to the United States. As are Katrina and the like.

If you rifle to any country’s popular culture - including advertisement - you’ll find dozens, if not hundreds, cliches which are deeply insulting or at least offsetting to people in other countries.

I thought there was nothing tasteless about the one saying smoking is worse, or the one about potable water, although the one about osteoporosis was pushing it…

Anybody who’d jump to the conclusion that either of those two are tasteless clearly hasn’t stopped to grasp the point of the ad first, IMO. It’s not inherently tasteless to alert people to the fact that the number of lives claimed by the WTC incident is negligible in comparison to everyday risks, and there’s nothing inherently tasteless about employing imagery of the towers, particularly minus planes smacking into them.

Although I certainly detect some not inconsiderable amount of preciousness amongst Americans vis-a-vis how much we should all care; the actual, inherent import of the tragedy has been completely dwarfed by the unnecessary consequences resulting from the military-industrial complex-driven hand-wringing, hatch-battening, sabre-rattling and boot-stomping. People’s lives all over the world have been affected as a result, in spite of all logic and reason.

I’m pretty damn sure there’s a vast swathe of Americans who, in a black little corner of their hearts, are actually secretly glad it happened; to them this devastating slap in the face equals a license to be stupid and belligerent for decades.

“psychopathetic” would sound to me as a better description of that type of hollow (and all too frequent) non-apologies.

It’s an ad, disguised as a tribute, but whatever, I’m not outraged, it is commonplace.
Yeah, see, we feel bad, buy our phone.

It’s all about the symbol. The World Trade Center was about global economy and the backbone of capitalism and being an AMURican. The outrage and upset form those at a distance often had less to do with the tragic loss of NYers’ lives or even the fact that it happened in NYC at all. The terrorists burned an American flag in essence.

To be fair - at least in Fringe, in the alternate universe version of NYC, the twin towers were still there. :slight_smile: So it’s not COMPLETELY scrubbed from pop culture.