ATM machines, PIN numbers, and other redundant acronyms

Originally published at: ATM machines, PIN numbers, and other redundant acronyms | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Quadruple tautology

Torpenhow Hill

6 Likes

Not an acronym, but I’ve always found The Los Angeles Angels to be greatly amusing since it translates to “The The Angels Angels.”

23 Likes

Is there a name for the uncontrollable urge to come up with acronyms, no matter what, at the slightest provocation?

11 Likes

73Xf

4 Likes

My personal favorite redundancy is “…and etcetera”

5 Likes

The new country next to Indonesia is “East Timor”, but since “Timor” in Indonesian means “east”, the country name means “East East”. Not an acronym, but still…

12 Likes

It’s CAT: compulsive acronym tendency.
I have it, and I just made that up.

21 Likes

VAB Building,- vehicle assembly building building.

5 Likes

“chai tea” is redundant not just for Hindi speakers, but for anyone who is remotely familiar with Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bulgarian, Hindi, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Urdu, Croatian, Czech, Georgian, Greek, Romanian, Serbian, Swahili, Thai, Ukrainian, Wolof, or any of the even more numerous languages with similar words like “cha.”

4 Likes

In Japanese, either “dera” or “ji” (same character with different readings) at the end of something means “temple,” so “Kiyomizudera Temple” and “Sensoji Temple” are redundant. Same with “jinja” or “jingu” (although the ja and gu are different characters) and “shrine.”

1 Like

Perhaps?

Is absolutely, certainly tea to anyone n the world.

8 Likes

No, I’m sure I’ve heard of CAT tendency before. It may not be well known to the hoi polloi. :wink:

6 Likes

Little Caesar’s.

Tv Show Smile GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

5 Likes

In defence of the Sahara Desert, it is sufficiently desert to say it twice.

12 Likes

Of course the fact that the name change was made by the owner of the club, the son of mexican immigrants who one would expect understood the odd repetition of words, is doubly odd

1 Like

SEO optimization.

8 Likes

I think that’s AGS (American government syndrome)

3 Likes

FMEA Analysis

SSD Drive

IRA Account

4 Likes

Actually, the La Brea Tar Pits is like saying “the the tar tar pits.”

15 Likes