Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

15 Likes
27 Likes

Hmm, I don’t think this article is necessarily accurate, or even useful.

I’ll go out on a limb here, and recklessly speculate that The Sun did that on purpose.

5 Likes

well, so long as the person in question is a republican. they’d quickly move to bar a democrat if they felt they could.

please see also the attempt to convince people obama wasn’t born in america

this didn’t used to be the case, but they’re a minority party for the foreseeable future. they feel blowing up the government is their only option to keep power ( god forbid they actually try to appeal to the needs of the voters )

7 Likes

Cross-post:

7 Likes

Sadly,

There’s something else missing from the indictment as well: any indication of involvement in the alleged conspiracy by political leaders outside the Oath Keepers. As described by the Justice Department, there’s no hint that the group’s plans for violence extended beyond the circle of the Oath Keepers themselves to include Trump, his associates or any of the members of Congress who voiced support for efforts to “stop the steal.” That’s particularly notable given accusations by some lawmakers that their colleagues played a role in planning the attack. Absent as well is Trump associate Roger Stone, who was guarded by Oath Keepers on Jan. 6 before the attack on the Capitol began.

Nor do these political leaders seem to fit within the vision of the seditious conspiracy laid out by the Justice Department. The case against Rhodes and his co-defendants focuses narrowly on those directly involved in the Oath Keepers’s effort to plan for and facilitate acts of violence on Jan. 6—to the point that it even excludes other Oath Keepers who participated in those events but do not appear to have had a role in planning them. (The latter are instead being charged as part of a non-seditious criminal conspiracy, which carries a lighter criminal penalty.) And there are few signs that any political leaders were involved in such planning to the same degree or in the same way as the Oath Keepers being prosecuted alongside Rhodes.

But also, the AG may not want to tip his hand to the politicians who might be rolled up in the conspiracy either by naming names, giving Unidicted Co-conspirator descriptions (that can easily be matched up to public figures) or even writing the description of the conspiracy such that it would encompass them. At least, not until the DOJ is ready to roll them up.

17 Likes

Yeah. And may want to flip some of these jerks.

14 Likes

You know, I always thought that the people who call 9-1-1 to report getting shafted on a drug deal were at the outer marker, but I see that I was greatly mistaken.

13 Likes

Nope, just really, really stupid. We need a new term for MAGAt level privilege-blinded stupid. Suggestions?

12 Likes

Cross-post:

Also:

13 Likes
7 Likes

A fifth person with ties to Delaware? Oh, perfidious Delaware, How the plot sickens.

Carlton Larson, the guy quoted as an expert on treason law has an article in the Atlantic

7 Likes

Everyone’s favorite part-time Alaskan lawmaker and full-time oathkeeper isn’t happy with the charges against his compatriots.

14 Likes

Captain Underpants caught by facial recognition

Fischer had deleted much of his social media, the media outlet said. The online sleuths used facial recognition software to match an image of the so-called “RayBanTerrorist” to an Instagram post of Fischer featured in a local Tampa Bay newspaper.

From there, they found more photos of Fischer, across different social media platforms, from during his days working as a model.

One image shows Fischer, who has distinctive tattoos on his arm, on a catwalk modeling black underwear with a gold pouch.

Fischer’s arms were covered in photos from the Capitol, but HuffPost reported that his tattoos were identifiable in a photo of him with a group of Proud Boys from December 2020.

It is not known whether the work of the civilian investigators led directly to Fischer’s arrest but, according to court documents, a witness at the Proud Boys’ Florida events also helped identify him to them.

18 Likes
20 Likes
6 Likes

i wrote my senators earlier today urging them to get the job done. i don’t know if it will actually help, but it can’t hurt. and it’s pretty risk free compared to what people had to do to get voting rights passed in the 1960s.

https://www.cop.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm

13 Likes

The first time I read this I thought it meant he had tattooed his own arms with photographs of himself committing crimes at the Capitol, and that was how he was caught :confused:

10 Likes