Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

According to the first article, the “anocracy” status is from the slide throughout 45’s term. Will bookmark to see how the US is measured after one year of Biden’s term. Also, this is interesting (emphasis mine):

17 percent of those who identify strongly as Republicans support the use of violence to restore Trump to power, and 39 percent favor doing everything possible to prevent Democrats from governing effectively.

Based on this, I’m still seeing a minority - which is reassuring since the leaders of the attempted coup seem to always be expecting a large turnout in multiple states, but it never materializes:

NOTE: based on the following, it seems 65% of adults in the US are registered to vote, which should be considered while looking at the political party affiliation poll. Rules on registration and release of data differ depending on the state, though.

15 Likes

“…a glaring reminder that the committee investigating the January 6 riot must finish their work before the midterms.”

16 Likes

Sarah Kendzior points out that Roger Stone had coined “stop the steal” in 2016; that Merrick Garland could have done plenty already to bring justice into the equation, that he is “running out the clock.”

Touché.

17 Likes

Oncophile, or perhaps oncophore?

3 Likes

Devlyn Thompson expressed remorse for his actions before U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth sentenced him on Monday to three years and 10 months in prison.

The 28-year-old from Washington state pleaded guilty in August to assaulting a police officer with a metal baton.

Prosecutors said Thompson joined a melee in a tunnel where a mob and police fought for control of a Capitol entrance for two hours.

17 Likes

Mazza had been armed with … a weapon with an unusual capability for firing various ammunition. Loaded in the gun were two .45 caliber hollow-point rounds and three .410 gauge shotgun shells. “When shotgun shells are fired through such a pistol,” investigators noted in the affidavit, “the effect is similar to the discharge of a short barreled or sawed-off shotgun.”

nope. we don’t any need gun safety regulation at all. this is a perfectly normal tool for companies to make, market, and sell. in fact, i pull mine out whenever i misplace my can opener. it’s just that useful. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

20 Likes
14 Likes

Already seeing comments to the effect that “the only hope for avoiding civil war is for Trump to win 2024 by a comfortable margin.” To which I reply “What the fuck did you just say?!?!?!”

atomic bomb explosion GIF

20 Likes

You avoid the Civil War by not electing Lincoln, just like you avoid WW2 by letting the Nazis have whatever they want. It’s foolproof! :roll_eyes:

22 Likes
24 Likes
16 Likes

An argument for longer terms for insurrectionists and traitors in office.

18 Likes

15 Likes

13 Likes

Giphy is not working, but insert Susan Collins’ “he learned his lesson” gif here.
If people aren’t afraid, they’re not paying attention.

13 Likes
15 Likes

He’s terrified of what will be found out.

17 Likes

(image of @Papasan 's posted list of names re Jan6)

13 Likes
19 Likes

Three federal judges have agreed that the most serious charge faced by those accused of participation in the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol is constitutional, a victory for the Justice Department and a blow to the defendants fighting those accusations.

Without that felony charge, prosecutors would be left with only minor charges against many they view as playing a major role in the riot. The Justice Department has avoided charges of sedition, a rarely used law, and not all those accused of acting as key instigators were seen assaulting police officers.

The ruling also has broader implications. Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) has suggested former president Donald Trump could be charged with obstruction of an official proceeding.

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

24 Likes