Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

What they need to do: military drones killing all the cattle from the sky. Obviously I’m not thrilled at the thought of killing so many creatures, but it’s the safest way to keep him from continuing to profit by cheating the citizens of this country. And it would definitely send a message.

14 Likes

There has to be a Far Side cartoon for that.

9 Likes

what i don’t get is that he must be running a business, right? if the feds don’t want to confront him with guns, why don’t they just go for civil forfeiture? or send the irs after his banks and clients?

it feels like a failure of imagination that the only way to claw back the money that he owes is at the end of a gun

[edit] note to self: scroll down before posting. what @DukeTrout and @chgoliz said.

13 Likes
10 Likes

Grovel, Lex Luther, grovel.

10 Likes

Just like the Arc of the Covenant, “Voter Fraud” vanishes if viewed by someone who lacks true faith.

8 Likes

Hopefully that’s to put the squeeze on the ringleaders rather some kind of “they thought they were doing the right thing” leniency.

13 Likes

I’m not in a hurry. But if they’re cooperating productively I suppose that’s okay. If they’re just having their felony charges “whited” down to misdemeanors…

6 Likes
9 Likes

Odd how we haven’t heard of all the breaches that clearly have happened over the past four years. Because none of trump’s cronies should had ever received clearances. Looking at you Jared.

9 Likes
11 Likes

And none of this came up on his background check for his clearance. Unsurprising. The checks and interviews are meant to keep out commies, not nazis

13 Likes

Not sure that this counts as fallout, but many dubious personages have been attracted to the security field.

4 Likes

[ a separate supervisor] told NCIS that Hale-Cusanelli “would make racial jokes and wouldn’t be quiet about it.” He said he knew Hale-Cusanelli was a Nazi sympathizer and Holocaust denier but that “nothing about Hale-Cusanelli’s statements struck him as dangerous.”

yup. that checks out. nothing dangerous about advocating for genocide. :exploding_head:

15 Likes

Why I’m so leery of “security” and bodyguards

“I have a new security business to circumvent the 2nd Amendment issue,” Reffitt told the pair. “Website is under construction but business is licensed with Secretary of State, Texas DPS, and Texas Board of Private Security. We can get ammo and weapons available to law enforcement. We have an interior certified training officer. Join us and lets take back our country. The fight has only just begun.”

Prosecutors described the arrangement in an effort to persuade a judge that Reffitt is too dangerous to be released before his trial on charges related to the Capitol assault. Reffitt is a self-described Three Percenter, which prosecutors describe as an ideology rooted in the notion that the current government is the equivalent of British oppressors and can be overthrown by armed militias.

They noted that Reffitt misled the FBI about his company — TTP Security, LLC — telling them it had no connection to the Texas Three Percenters. Rather, he said, it stood for “Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures.”

It would so easy for politicians to use electioneering funds to build up private militias.

6 Likes

I’m actually surprised they managed to get to DC let alone be able to tie their own shoes

14 Likes

They thought they were going to get the Presidential Medal of Freedom when they forced congress to make Trump president again.

And they would have, if they had succeeded.

4 Likes

Very much this. It’s tempting to think of this as “videotaping our crime spree is the best idea we ever had”, but really, there isn’t the same penalty for marching in a successful coup. If they were stupid, it was for trusting Trump was going to prevail, when he’s the sort of lazy coward who simply incited and went home to watch television…and it was closer than it should have been despite that.

12 Likes

They’re probably the same folks who were doing this :joy:

14 Likes

And not over yet.

5 Likes