Attorney General Merrick Garland: Justice Department will "protect" abortion seekers in Texas

Originally published at: Attorney General Merrick Garland: Justice Department will "protect" abortion seekers in Texas | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Federal troops worked previously when enforcing civil rights, Merrick. Just saying.

30 Likes

I guess I’m not sure what this achieves, except for meaningless symbolism, unless abortion providers are fully protected as well.

15 Likes

How about the Feds don’t come running with cash to rebuild after major weather events?

Maybe tell Texas to frig off, close military bases, exercise some financial muscle.

Aside from the evil of their plans, this cannot be good for the court system getting clogged up with all this BS.

“My body, my choice” apparently is only something that applies to vaccines.

2 Likes

Because the people MOST impacted by major weather events are not those who are passing laws that restrict women’s rights, maybe? :woman_shrugging:

29 Likes

The Federal Law does protect them as well, as I understand it.

10 Likes

I don’t even…

12 Likes

It’s fine… it’s just poor, mostly people who color who also just got disenfranchised… clearly, this law is all their fault… /s

GIF by Equipe de France de Football

17 Likes

Yeah! Kill more of them! That’ll really make things better…

12 Likes

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry|nullxnull

We’re all fucked.

17 Likes

Hey, remember when Trump was like “good let COVID kill people in those democrat cities!” and for a moment we could all see why this was a terrible way to think because literally everyone in this country suffered for it?

Some people just can’t come up with better solutions I guess so they get stuck with final solutions.

19 Likes

Oh yes, I fucking do… also, pepperridge farm remembers…

Yes. They are in fact EAGER to carry out a final solution… Also…

i see what you did there doctor who GIF

Nazis need to fuck off now.

18 Likes

Yeah, not only does the law not target the women having the abortions, I’m not sure what it would do for abortion providers, either. Prevent them from being sued? Because if you can’t do that, there’s no protection at all.

6 Likes

Non-rhetorical question: What’s to stop the DOJ acting as defense counsel for any provider sued under the new Texas law?

2 Likes

Too bad his Supreme Court nomination was blocked, preventing him from providing a more meaningful defense of rights…

8 Likes

On a side note, looks like the whistleblower site is having a tough go of it.

9 Likes

Ok, maybe a bad example - but money talks and the Feds need to use it as muscle because obviously silly things like the Constitution and law mean nothing.

But wouldn’t it be awesome if his current role allowed him to be a spoiler for the agenda of those who blocked him? A boy can dream…

3 Likes

Yes, I did have a certain satisfaction of him getting that post. We’ll see, but optimism tends to be quenched these days.

5 Likes

Yeah…optimism doesn’t come naturally to me even in good times so I’m trying to force myself to think positively for the last few years. Otherwise I become paralyzed with hopelessness and stop doing the little things that are under my control.

6 Likes